• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The 4th iPhone

ben_rc

i brought my iphone 3gs outright, an if i can upgrade it or get money off then i may upgrade! but i wont do it staight away i dont think, most new things come out tend to have issues! lol as long as it can be jailbroken, it will be the best phone out there!

You know I think it has. When I got mine it was all "omg you have an iPhone" but now with shorter and cheaper contracts everyone has them. And they are a gimmick. If the app store wasn't there I'd have sold mine months ago. I'm a blackberry fanboy at heart lol

crackberry for live :P i only love iphone for its apps/games, an i must say it is the most easyest touch screen i've ever used!

I'm on the O2 site now, I've text Date to 21302 and it says my contract ends 26/08/11

It then shows my cost, of £280 to upgrade to the iPhone 4, will this be the 16GB or 32GB?

Now, is this a final cost, or will there be any more fees to pay for a new tariff? As I'm very happy with my current package. Oh, and do I keep my current phone aswell?

i think that will be the cost just to buy yourself out of the contract? as you still have 14 months to go (14*£20).

Plus fairly sure O2 have said that even existing customers will have to migrate to one of the new tarrifs (with low data caps) at some point in 2010.

here you go.. (http://shop.o2.co.uk/new-iphone/earlyupgradeoffer.html)

A few rules before you can take advantage of the offer. You have to:

Have paid your Early Upgrade Offer charge;

Sign up for a new 18 or 24 month minimum term Pay Monthly or 24 month Business airtime contract with O2 with an iPhone at the normal price for that phone and on our iPhone tariffs; and

Agree that you won't have a change of mind period and won't be able to go back to your old tariff.

Edited by adequate

Hmmmm. The new iphone looks interesting. I currently use an iphone 3G 8GB and I have to say I love it. I was dubious about a touch screen phone, but strangeley ended up with an ipod touch first and loved how slick it was. So I plumped for the iphone within about a month :D I will definately try the new iphone if I can get a good enough deal from o2. That said, I do feel the iphone is sadly lacking in many functional features that are standard on many rival phones (even basic cheap ones).

Exactly. Apple have always put technology first, and they know how to make their tech some of the best on the planet, which is why they are very highly rated and recently overtook Microsoft

As far as Apple being some kind of marketing tech genious etc etc.....lol, I dont agree.

Lets look at the iphone......its taken 4 generations for them to release a phone that has the basic functionality of a basic modern phone. Clever marketing? Or a real deficiency in the "what a phone needs" department? Not exactly what I would class as putting 'technology first'.

When the iphone was released in 2007 it didnt have working bluetooth, it didnt have a decent camera, it didnt have the ability to watch videos, it didnt have the ability to copy and paste, it didnt have the ability to share files via IR/bluetooth.....the list goes on of what it didnt have........ And yet it retailed at over double the price of many phones that had all of the above and more. Seems to me that apple products are about image, not functionality or performance. I dont want to go into mac vs PC, but I will say that the money you spend on a mac will buy you a PC that will stomp it to pieces (if you know where to go and what to buy and many people, unfortunately, dont.)It might not look the best and might not have Apple's design chic, but performance wise it will destroy a mac.

Yes, their products look cool and everyone knows it, but tech wise their stuff is seriously lacking when compared to many alternative products on the market. The only thing that saves Apple is the itunes/app stores and all of the clever people out there that took the SDK and ran with it. Oh and a very loyal fanbase who often overlook inadequate tech because the product might do a couple of things very well and it has a sexy touch screen (I include myself in that statement, although I'm no fanboy) :rolleyes:

I personally run a gaming PC, and those people who go on about how unstable PC's are compared to macs really should come and use my PC. Its over 3 years old and I can count on 1 hand the number of times it has crashed. I have only had to do a hard reinstall once after my missus infected it by using limewire without me knowing.......(silly woman :lol: )

Difference is I built it myself from high quality components, so its not a generic PC world rig :lol:

As for Mac taking over the world......nar. The recent film Avatar is about as cutting edge as visual tech gets. Did Cameron create Avatar on a mac? Nope he used a Hewlett Packard server farm. IE PC based tech :)

My 2p worth :D

Cheers :cheers:

Edited by PRAETORIAN

Hmmmm. The new iphone looks interesting. I currently use an iphone 3G 8GB and I have to say I love it. I was dubious about a touch screen phone, but strangeley ended up with an ipod touch first and loved how slick it was. So I plumped for the iphone within about a month :D I will definately try the new iphone if I can get a good enough deal from o2. That said, I do feel the iphone is sadly lacking in many functional features that are standard on many rival phones (even basic cheap ones).

As far as Apple being some kind of marketing tech genious etc etc.....lol, I dont agree.

Lets look at the iphone......its taken 4 generations for them to release a phone that has the basic functionality of a basic modern phone. Clever marketing? Or a real deficiency in the "what a phone needs" department? Not exactly what I would class as putting 'technology first'.

When the iphone was released in 2007 it didnt have working bluetooth, it didnt have a decent camera, it didnt have the ability to watch videos, it didnt have the ability to copy and paste, it didnt have the ability to share files via IR/bluetooth.....the list goes on of what it didnt have........ And yet it retailed at over double the price of many phones that had all of the above and more. Seems to me that apple products are about image, not functionality or performance. I dont want to go into mac vs PC, but I will say that the money you spend on a mac will buy you a PC that will stomp it to pieces (if you know where to go and what to buy and many people, unfortunately, dont.)It might not look the best and might not have Apple's design chic, but performance wise it will destroy a mac.

Yes, their products look cool and everyone knows it, but tech wise their stuff is seriously lacking when compared to many alternative products on the market. The only thing that saves Apple is the itunes/app stores and all of the clever people out there that took the SDK and ran with it. Oh and a very loyal fanbase who often overlook inadequate tech because the product might do a couple of things very well and it has a sexy touch screen (I include myself in that statement, although I'm no fanboy) :rolleyes:

I personally run a gaming PC, and those people who go on about how unstable PC's are compared to macs really should come and use my PC. Its over 3 years old and I can count on 1 hand the number of times it has crashed. I have only had to do a hard reinstall once after my missus infected it by using limewire without me knowing.......(silly woman :lol: )

Difference is I built it myself from high quality components, so its not a generic PC world rig :lol:

As for Mac taking over the world......nar. The recent film Avatar is about as cutting edge as visual tech gets. Did Cameron create Avatar on a mac? Nope he used a Hewlett Packard server farm. IE PC based tech :)

My 2p worth :D

Cheers :cheers:

Interesting points, but since the move to intel based architecture the underlying hardware in a mac is pretty close to a modern PC anyway. Also, I thought Avatar was rendered by Weta on a large HP blade farms running linux. If anything thats closer to OS X (which has roots in bsd) and "mac technology" than windows :)

For me, the key to apple's success is taking an existing idea / technology and just doing it well. Look at the iPhone, ok we had smart phones before and the ability to use apps but getting them installed was a pain for the average jo and the quality of apps was not great, the app store changed all that. two of the new bits in iPhone 4 / iOS 4 are iAd and FaceTime. Again nothing actually new, just re-imaginged. iAd will ad new revenue streams meaning more free apps and less annoying adverts, and whilst video calling never took off before i bet FaceTime will see a fair amount of use.

Edited by adequate

The Original iPhone did have a working bluetooth, as the Apple Bluetooth headset was released at launch too ;)

I'm not entirely sure about the last part, I've got a iMac 27" i7 2.8GHz Processor, 8GB RAM (2x4GB) and 512Mb ATI HD4850, Up against my friends Gaming Rig, Which has the same i7 Chip, processor, same amount of RAM all beit in 4x2GB and 1GB of dedicated graphics and as far as image rendering both using photoshop CS4 doing the exact same image and task, boot time and running multiple applications the Mac does it quicker and using less resources.

What O/S is he running? If its Windows, then thats the answer as to why it isn't as fast, Window's software are massive system hogs. The more you have, the more it takes.

It was indeed Windows. That was my Point ;)