• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Apple I-Pad

carlcurtis83

Just been browsing the Yahoo news thought it may appeal to some...

Apple has finally announced that the iPad will be available to international markets, including the UK, from 28 May, but eager Apple fans in this country will have to pay a premium for the device.

IPad sales in the US reached the one million mark earlier this week, and the device is currently available to pre-order in the UK from 10 May, meaning that customers will have to wait around two weeks for their order to arrive.

However, UK prices are significantly more than in the US. The 16GB Wi-Fi model has a recommended retail price of £429, around £90 more than a straight conversion from the $500 US price.

The 32GB version will retail for £499, and the 64GB for £599. Wi-Fi and 3G models will retail for £529 for 16GB, £599 for 32GB and £699 for 64GB, all markedly higher than in the US. All prices are inclusive of VAT.

The international release could harm developers of notebook and netbook products after a study by Morgan Stanley/Alphawise found that the iPad is cannibalising the market in the US as consumers buy Apple's new device and reject competing products.

Apple claimed that developers have already created over 5,000 applications for the iPad, and that 1.5 million e-books have been downloaded by US users from its new iBookstore site.

The iPad will be launched on the same day in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, and Switzerland.

Edited by carlcurtis83

Only people with more money that sense will buy this, its going to be a complete and utter failure.

Obviously not, if they have sold 1 million i-pads in a month (in the US alone). One of Sony's e-readers sold 300,000 units globally in over two years.

I'm personally intrigued to see what it's like and actually have a play with it.

Edited by Bridgey

Jeez its quite big dollar, although most Apple stuff is, had an Iphone for about 20 months and still loving it. Be good to see how this Ipad is, wouldn't mind having a go with 1. Cheers for the info Carl :good:

I've had a play around with an iPad and have got one at work to use.

I have to say, they are brilliant. Can't fault them at all. Thankfully I'll not be paying retail for mine as I think the

How you managed to get your hands on one mate?

What sort of things do you use it for?

Know people in the right places ;). It's not mine for keeps, just playing with it until the end of May. I'm looking into getting one for use on client shoots etc. So far it's stunning, only been using it like 3 hours, and it's fabulous. Not blowing my mind, as it were, but it's just ticking away perfectly, and doing what I want. The screen is MUCH better than I expected, really nice, impossible to fault it so far, so it's stunning without being mental. Going to buy one, the one I've got is only Wifi, so I'll be getting a 3G version.

Edited by halcalanky

Know people in the right places ;). It's not mine for keeps, just playing with it until the end of May. I'm looking into getting one for use on client shoots etc. So far it's stunning, only been using it like 3 hours, and it's fabulous. Not blowing my mind, as it were, but it's just ticking away perfectly, and doing what I want. The screen is MUCH better than I expected, really nice, impossible to fault it so far, so it's stunning without being mental. Going to buy one, the one I've got is only Wifi, so I'll be getting a 3G version.

Nice lol.

I look forward to having a go at the Apple store later. I would probably buy the 3G version too tbh.

I love Apple and their products, I think that iPad is awesome for some one that travels alot on longer journeys, sometimes laptops can be pain the a!s when iPad is small, light and battery last ages.

It's screen is awesome for movies and games and the fact that it's an open software that is shared with iPhone will bring millions of apps in no time.

i looked at getting one the other day as theres some import ones in the uk already, but after doing a little research i was put off completley. Its processor is the same speed as the iphone 3gs, it has more ram than an iphone, but uses the same operating system so basically has the same limitations, and at the end of the day its just a big iphone that cant make calls :rolleyes: an ipod touch and a magnifying glass is 1/3rd of the the price :lol:

the only thing i do like about it is that it has an anti finger print screen, something i wish they would have shoved on the iphone ^_^ as my first on got a face full of zip... as i wiped it down my hoody forgetting it had a zip in the middle :whistling:

i looked at getting one the other day as theres some import ones in the uk already, but after doing a little research i was put off completley. Its processor is the same speed as the iphone 3gs

WRONG, the iPad uses a 1GHZ A4 processor, WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY faster than the processor in the iPhone

The 3GS also has the same anti-fingerprint coating ;)

WRONG, the iPad uses a 1GHZ A4 processor, WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY faster than the processor in the iPhone

The 3GS also has the same anti-fingerprint coating ;)

It FLIES.

Fingerprint coating isn't as good as on the 3GS for some reason (I have the entire iPhone family in the flat to compare it to).