• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tectics Diablo project

tectic

I think that will be debated for many a year!

Personally I prefer sensored motors although I did burn up a Tekin RX8 ESC but I believe this to be a soldering problem

I think it is up-to personal preference.

"A sensorless controller can run both sensored and sensorless motors. A sensored controller can only run sensored motors.

A sensored motor has a Hall-Effect sensor (hence the name "sensored") inside the motor. This sensor picks up the rotor position and sends it to the ESC via a few small wires. A sensorless controller uses feedback on the main motor wires to pick up the rotor position. So, construction of a sensorless motor is simpler and has only the 3 main motor wires.

A sensored setup is basically free from cogging (where the motor jitters because it doesn't know where the rotor is). Older sensorless had cogging issues, but today's controllers are much better and only cog if going very slow AND are loaded heavily. "

Edited by tectic

Here is a link to some video footage using my go pro hero video camera for the first time

It was mounted on the wing so is a bit shakey

http://img801.images...4444/movie1.mp4

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/5291/movieaix.mp4

Edited by tectic

Yes I have a centre diff installed and am thinking of removing it and trying it without

as I think it is slowing it down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks for your votes!

For some of the newer members to RC cars i will tell you a little about some of the extra products i will be using during this project.

cimg6144.jpg

Rit Dye

Rit Dye is an american product for dying clothes. It also is great for dying plastics and rubber!!

you can now buy this off Ebay from london. I prefer to use liquid rather than powder as i find it mixes better but that is a personal preference.

If you want to dye plastics or rubber Dylon will not work as it does not seem to etch itself.

To use Rit Dye it must be heated to activate it. I personally use boiling water from a kettle the mix the dye in and the components then leave overnight.

Some people prefer to bring to a simmer on a stove/hob.

The amount of time is again personal preferance the longer you leave it the deeper the colour.

After use i store the dye in an old plastic bottle and re-use when ever i need to do some dyeing again.

Isopropyl Alcohol

I use this for cleaning the plastic parts before dyeing as it cleans any dirt or moulding agents and gives a good keying surface also for cleaning new tyres before taping.

This can be obtained from Maplins.

Corrosion X

This is a new product i have found and am going to use it to Waterproof the Tekin ESC.

This is available from the UK

Gorilla Snawt

This is a really good heavy duty Teflon RC grease.

I use this for rebuilding Transmissions and Differentials.

This is available from Ebay. (I also sometimes use a heavy waterproof grease called Aqualube).

SIN OIL

As i am using Acer ceramic bearingsto replace all the stock bearings i am also using Acers Sin Oil which is a blend of synthetic oils and cleaning addatives.

This can be purchased from Acer racing.

Diff Oil & Shock Oil

I dont use any particular brand of silicone oil but i would say manufacturers viscosity differs so find a brand and use different viscosity's from their brand.

One manufacturers 50wt will not always be the same as another manufacurer.

I have still to fathom out the comparison between WT's of oil and CPS' s of oil.

Finish line Dry Teflon Lubricant

Finis line is a cycling range of lubricants

i use the Dry Teflon Lube for axle pivot balls and drive shafts as it is a Teflon lube which dries and does not collect dust or dirt whilst lubricating.

This can be purchased from certain cyle shops in the UK or off the internet.

Loctite Blue Thread locker

Loctites Blue thread locker is the Thread lock of choice in the RC Car scene as it is a medium strength thread lock and is also removable.

can be purchased from any automotive shop.

Tyre Glue

Again i dont use any particular brand of tyre glue but i do prefer to use a medium rather than thin glue. Currently i am using AKA Premium tyre glue.

GMK Sticky stuff

GMK sticky stuff is a wheel balancing putty i purchase from the USA.

You can use lots of different products fro wheel balancing putty or stick on weights the main thing is to balance your wheels before first time use.

Gorilla Tape

Gorilla tape is what i use for taping tyres to stop them ballooning at speed. Gorilla tape is much stronger than duct tape an also stickier.

Again taping them before first use is advisable and clean the mold release agent from the tyres with Isopropyl Alcohol.

This can be purchased from Ebay.

Silicone Grease

I use silicone grease to lubricate O-rings and seal the Traxxas Reciever box wire seal by applying some over the soft seal.

This can be purchased off the internet

Vaseline can also be used.

I hope this is of use to some of the newer members to RC Cars now back to todays building

Rebuilding the Differentials today.

should be stickyed IMO.

Well a sad day for me

Time to let Diablo Go

It is off to a new owner Rchertz or Recoguy from B***

TIME FOR ME TO CONCENTRATE ON THE BIG BOYS

Edited by tectic

• 3 weeks later...