• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Riding at 17

midi-mania

To be honest restricting engine that big is real bad for it, it's like using nitro or petrol rc car with only 30% throttle at all times, it just isn't good for it, you will be better of restricting 250cc in my opinion although 650cc are wicked :)

Edited by Bartek

Really, what bike is it then? sounds under powered for 650cc.

You are lucky to get bike, I had to buy my one lol :)

650 gs. Not really underpowered, it is a single.

It was my dads bosses that he imported from the states. They used to go for rides all the time and I went pillion with them when I could. When he was sorting out to go back to the US for good it would have cost more to ship it back than it was worth, so he gave it to me ^_^.

Slight thead hijack there, sorry :blush:

when im 17 im doing my full test straight away as it probably works out cheaper than ill be getting a kawasaki z1000 with restrictor kit in... maybe take it out after a few months of use

1000 will struggle with the restriction like Bartek said. Take it out and

A. Your insurance isn't worth the paper its written on.

B. Like was said earlier it can be seized and crushed ( riding out of your license and without valid insurance).

Not to mention the cost of insuring at z1000 at 17. Not worth it mate IMO, get something a bit more sensible.

Like I said before, I'm also going to take the test as soon as I can. And 33bhp is more than enough for learning on.

theres alot of wrong info in this thread.

let me try and help

16yrs old > up to 50cc restricted to 30mph only

17yrs old > up to 125cc limited to 14.6 bhp

ive heard of yamaha r1 being restricted, wouldnt recomend it.

i would imagin that 650 would restrict fine as you not loosing to many bhp

i dont see the point of spending

i wont be a danger to me and other road users ? what is a danger is a 50cc moped going 30mph on a duel carrage way, you take a test to learn how to ride a bike... plus sports bikes and high cc bikes are ok in the city, obviously not as good as a 125 commuter but they will do fine, ill be using it on the motorway alot aswell since ill be in the royal marines

Its not good for them though.

Nothing wrong with not using the full rev range on any bike...

A 1000cc inline 4 will pull 4th or 5th gear from 20mph without trouble.

Its pointless using a 1000cc sportbike just to go to the shops or around town. (imo, its pointless having a 1000cc sportsbike for the road full stop!)

I ride a 50cc NRG with a CBT and provisional.

basically, make sure you wear the proper clothing. I've come of mine once at 30mph, on ice, and that hurt. Dry summer roads will scrape like sandpaper.

Also, I was under the impression at 17 you can ride a bike thats not restricted to 30mph, so long as its under 125cc. My mate has an NRG, which is derestricted as he's 17, that was done by the shop they came from

I'm his mate ^ ;)

If you're getting a 50cc, get it derestricted. I don't think you would be too happy being stuck at 30 al the time! Especially on national speed limit roads and dual carriage ways!

A jacket is a must really, one with pads on the shoulders, elbows and possibly in the back. (I took the back one out of mine as it was too tight)

My CBT cost around