• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Thunder Tiger SSK construction help

snake eyes

btw when you get the new receiver box (if it is a new one you need....check this out) be careful with the plastic and screwing it up to the chassis. You dont want them ultra tight, as the plastic is brittle, and it will break easily. Think there are only 2-3 screws that hold it on too..That is opposed to the rest of the chasses where the plastic used will bend a massive amount before breaking.

I could take better pics here btw with the truck as it is now; if they would help. With radio tray etc installed. ^_^ also just found my "factory" team shocks werent so factory and i have indeed busted a metal shock cap. Just fitted the plastic ones back on thank god for this thread or i wouldnt have had the motivation to find them in my heap of shi..er spares box. :good:

Edited by NilSatis

heya NilSatis Thanx for all the input into the thread...its good to see someone with a bought SSK, not a Built up one from the mags.

With regard to cutting into the receiver box, its only the lid that you need to cut (where the cables come out) and its only about 2mm otherwise the central clutch section will be pushed in towards the gear pinning the central shafts.

I had a issue because my holes were drilled about .5mm out, so had to make a sleight mod to the top bracing to stop the bracing (once screwed down) pulling the central towers inward pinning the shaft... (sorry for the long explination, cant think how else to explain)

give us more shots of your SSK for the thread :D

was looking at other pics around the place and must say the blue chassis looks SWEET on the original SSKv2

I will take a few of mine as soon as work gets quieter and i find a decent camera :(

I would LOVE to put a different body shell on mine but they are SOOO damn expensive here... R400 for one (34 pounds) unless im wrong in thinking thats expensive O_O

Edited by snake eyes

Bodyshells are expensive here too mate, especially ones that only fit the ssk for example. I have a spare one here but i bought it thinking it was a good deal and the fact was it came with no decals. The tt decals for the shell were a ridiculous price if i could ever find them so think i will try and fit an alternative shell type on mine in the Summer at some point. I took some pics for you lot today of mine, might help with layout etc or to see if something is wrong; but am afraid they are mobile quality:

25022010091.jpg

25022010092.jpg

25022010093.jpg

Thanks for the additions Nilsatis, truck looks great btw.

Can you tell me how many teeth your pinions have as im wondering if thats why mine dont mesh. I have 17 and 11. The bigger one doesnt mesh with the second gear at all...

Rob.

Defo should be 11/17; that is correct! I cant think what has gone wrong there apart from what i mentioned earlier, think one side of the tranny can be put in and screwed in the wrong way around. This will cause problems. The meshing of the gears is pretty easy on this. Always install tranny first then engine and move engine to mesh with tranny yeah?

Apart from that are you missing a bearing or is something worn or the wrong way around in that middle set up? Ahhhh, are the dog bones in the right way around; is one longer than the other? i cant quite remember....this might also cause problems, but would not have thought it should allow you to install them like that.... Check this out too, and swap them around, see if this helps. Does it all look like mine in the photos?

In what way does it not mesh? Just doesnt go anywhere near the gear? Think something is wrong in the mounting holes maybe if that is your situation...there should be two screw holes for each gearbox mount and in between is a little gap for a plastic lug to sit in for each tranny half. Thes lugs should fit in no problem, and do all the lining up you need, it is just a case of engine mount position from there so if something is not meshing it is in the template they have given you to do the holes, something is missing, or the wrong way around. Can you do pics?

The 11 tooth meshes fine but puts the mounting holes way off. I just counted the teeth on the gearbox and I got 50/42. All I can think is that the gears are too big since the std v2 gears are listed at 38/43. If only I could get in touch with the guy that sold me the bits mad.gif

• 12 years later...

Hell I m trying to get a thunder tiger ssk diff pinion shaft gear set but can’t get one,

i m wondering if any other would fit this model thanks Kev