• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

SmugR`s Monster Crazy

SmugR

Cheers Dave, hoping to have the bl revamp finished pretty soon, so I can start to show the other project :) 

Some of the bits I have been waiting for arrive today.

So got on with mounting the batt tray on the bl lst.

Some nice black delrin.

15E2C2BB-220F-4966-93DD-E081B0D6A170_zps

1DB95EAE-D96A-4F56-A1D8-9E275752A377_zps

B9103836-7D3B-487A-BFBC-C69ED91446D1_zps

Drilled and tapped the holes to m4

DF04D345-ED6F-4859-9AC8-605CEE1D3F5D_zps

9D66EDEC-B275-4548-8D55-8DF452488E2C_zps

Nearly there, just needs some foam and straps

27615D82-D279-4266-B7B6-4160D0120BB3_zps

Ready to go

C4E24853-A70B-49C9-99C0-944E28DB3785_zps

E7C2AB83-2380-44FA-B3E9-99D1BF75E30F_zps

Happy with how it's worked out, seems solid too, may have to add longer fasteners with washers and nuts if the m4's pull out of the chassis, but we'll see.

This layout should be a big improvement as the weight is better distributed as well as lowering the Centre of gravity quite a bit from the previous set up.

Edited by SmugR

I must learn to stay away from skate parks.

Thought I'd grab the freshly re vamped bl lst2 and the mt4 and head to the skate park for a quick bash.

Less than a pack through each and I'm back in the van heading home :(

I did manage a couple of double backflips with the lst, before a heavy nose landing from the upper atmosphere basically reversed most of the work I've been doing to it lately.

Ready to go

B6CC2391-24DF-4879-9D08-D4FE3BABB8E4_zps

Modified by gravity

E4D5FA75-8595-45EC-8442-BB366C9B380B_zps

F852AD3A-8705-4D25-B3FF-7B3979D4AE64_zps

B2D740DA-6D18-461B-94AB-97852E01B6FD_zps

24AA34E3-5BAD-41EA-941C-C951E1C01618_zps

0C05AF63-FAF7-4213-BBE0-9769DD9F3606_zps

Crap, wanted to go to the bmx track with it tomorrow...

So out came the mt4. All good, it's much smoother than the lst, but lacks the rawness and punch of the lst.

Wound things up a bit and went for some backflips, but it doesn't rotate fast enough in the air, barely made two backflips, which were plenty high enough, took a few heavy nose landings. Moved to a different area, took a tumble and suddenly the back end was at a jaunty angle. Oops

778B6E56-7C64-4DCC-8EC0-5420F1831ECA_zps

7143EB61-C321-4F47-9C09-CE9B4858A790_zps

Also noticed the front was riding low, yep done the ears on the front diff housing.....

Edited by SmugR

I just neeed to stay away from the skate park I think, I cant help but do stupid things in there, and its just savage on the trucks and smashing them that bad inside a pack each gets expensive and isn`t really that fun if its every outing.

Ha ha, I was a bit disappointed last night. Luckily I have all the bits needed for both, repaired the rear end of the mt4 last night, replaced both bent hingepins, and the lost pin holder insert, then stripped the front, ready for bits harvested from the st-1 roller.

Finished it up this morning with new half diff housing, new cnc front plate rearnew shock tower as that was bent too, so she was ready to go again, bits were everywhere at my work station, but the sun was out and it was time to go play.

New Cnc goodness

42B5139B-354B-417C-A534-B096AAFD84F9_zps

Some of the damaged bits from yesterday

59D34846-5A06-4613-9560-F687DC9116B9_zps

Headed off to a small bmx/pump track in the corner of a localish park, part tarmac on the berms and loose fine gravel, over harder pack on the jumps, which are quite tight and compact.

Had a nice little bash, trying to find the right rhythm for the jumps, 2+2, or 3+1 etc, nothing very high, but the ground was very hard on the jumps and it took some pretty solid front enders, until the ears popped on the front diff housing AGAIN and still inside of 1 4500mah pack. Had the gopro with me too and the wife was going to film for me, but we didn`t get that far.......

Fresh damage

A25B3200-7795-425E-AB0C-A8DE5F8C37C9_zps

8EB33452-828A-43EF-A1FA-3E544A866A9B_zps

Dropped right to the floor this time as it sheared the bolt through the bumper top stay.

15B9B774-15B3-4ABB-A26B-A0741C34AA41_zps

Back to the work station for me..........

Edited by SmugR

Your not having much luck with them diff cases you could try some alloy angle bolted to the top plate as a support ?

I'd also trim down the angle bracket for the brace so it doesn't catch the diff case and use the front bumper is a mounting point .

Edited by mydoddy69

That's one option I have in mind :)

Also considered going down from the brace rose joint bolt to the top plate, with internally threaded ally bar welded to a flat mount to bolt down to the top plate, so the fixing for the joint bolts straight down into the thread, which might help stop some of the flexing forces, the brace is resisting, being transferred directly to the diff case mounts.

Along with possibly, a sort of step shaped brace, on the front of the diff housing, going from the tower mounts down to somewhere like the sway bar mounts, prob not a massive gain to be had there, but every little way to spread the impact out a bit has to help.

I hadn't considered trimming back the bottom of the brace bracket, why do you think that might help?

I def need to work something out, my clumsy driving may improve slightly, but better durability is needed.

Dang! You need to avoid skate parks, they're killers! The only car I'd consider for that kind of terrain is a 1/10 SC. Even then it's got to be tough out the box AND have upgrades in place!

Still, you're having fun, so rock on! (Vids next time! ;) )

Hey Tug, yeah I`ll try on the vids :) Gopro was with me but didn`t make it out of my pocket.

What I really need is a nice dirt bmx track, or to build my own jumps or the like....

The lst chassis bent right behind the new battery tray mounts, this is the area of the chassis that is most `cut out` as stock, so the weight of the batt bent it on impact. I also found when jumping it, that the new battery location was making it nose dive a bit, so while it seemed like it would be better, with a more even weight distribution and lower cg, it hasn`t worked out exactly as planned.

So I need to either strengthen the chassis in that area, or move the layout around again.....At least I didn`t bust any diffs this time ;).

Apparently not!! Did a couple when I had the e lst2 built onto an xxl chassis with 55 series wheels and tyres from a cen. The extra length of the chassis and bigger wheels put more strain on the rear diff, even though they`d been shimmed and had diff oil in rather than grease. Didn`t break any on the stock chassis, and now I`m  back on a stock chassis, I think it`ll be ok.....

My thinking on the bottom of the brace mount is if you hit nose first with the bumper this shoves the force from the chassis flex onto the brace mount which is attached the the shock tower which is what the ears bolt to So it snaps at the weakest point ? So if you don't attach the brace mount to the ears and bumper it may not cause so much force on them ears ?

It is hard to tell if the ears are bolted to the mount from the pic but that's what I'm guessing ?

Ah I see where your coming from, but its shaped around the ears, so only mounts on the shock tower, the first time it bent the shock tower too, just above the ears.

Your still right though about the path of the force and the weakest point I think, also the top stay from the bumper mounts through the shock tower, so a nose down hit will also transfer impact forces straight into the shock tower, and with the top braced, the tower cant flex, so the ears prob take the brunt of that too..

So something to absorb, or spread that force so its shared between more contact points .....

One of these days I`ll get more than one pack through them without breaking anything, and I`ll come home, the Mrs will say `how`d it go, you were longer than I expected?` and I`ll get to say, `yeah well I ran out of batteries and I didn`t break every truck I had out`.....

Kristian, it might not help, but I`ve got a nice aftershock roller, boxed, in the attic......

So had the mt4 apart again, on my last diff casing now, the st1 roller is just a chassis and a box of bits now. On the upside, whilst the tools were out, I fitted the Leopard 4282 I got from MyDoddy. Still on a 12t at mo til I can get a 14.

DA4F2EB7-2AF5-453B-B4DE-D7D68BC5AC08_zps

It's a tight fit

94BC6A9D-6502-46F5-B796-BD80FBD91D80_zps

Bloody tight

51CE58C5-CAF4-40D0-9703-FF3308E510F5_zps

Also had a chat with Chris of azrockcrawler.com and have a few goodies on their way from him.

Will try to be a bit more gentle with it til the upgrades arrive....I did say try....

Had a buggy bash on tues in the icy sunshine, was great fun, and while the eb4 s3 held up great, I bounced it off the van a couple of times, unintentionally, the caster ex1.5r that I've had for almost two year and never run, got christened.... Had my plastic Argos ramp out and the first time off, it landed hard and became unresponsive. Crap!!! Turned out the cc mamba monster esc case had opened on impact and the esc and upper case moved, taking up any slack in the rx wire and then pulling it off the board!!! Thankfully I've found somewhere to repair it. Had the gopro on too so will roughly edit the footage an throw that up soon as I can. Got a few little bits and bobs arriving soon, also found a pair of wheels to replace the busted one on the Lst2, they're even yellow :)

Edited by SmugR

So now I have a 2000kv motor freshly relieved of duty! I like the eb4 s3 on 3s, it less of a tank than the hyper8 and fast enough, but should I drop in the ripper, change the esc and go 4s ......

Cheers, yeah its a nice spot, not moved in yet, renovating at the mo.

Spent a little time on the b4 s3. Its always felt, light, nimble and nippy, with plenty of speed on 3s, whereas the bl hyper, feels like a tank. So I weighed them

Eb4 S3, no shell, nanda blocks, no batt

70A79B65-3142-4883-B8F0-EE4C57949D78_zps

Hyper 8.5 pro, cnc everything, grp wheels and tyres, no batt no shell.

8D43DFE3-4A5A-4135-A4F0-7BE81861FCF1_zps

250g and it shows even behind the wheel.

Was looking at one of the other buggies and thought I`d try the TBR skids, they`re ever so slightly off, but so close as to totally work.

1AF173E2-0AC7-4CB0-A4A5-D5CC87D64CF0_zps

1E16D778-2F7B-446A-B273-888B53938AB8_zps

Ready to go

7E9817D2-8520-437F-A072-AD9C663D7A13_zps

7FCCDFFA-7FA0-478E-9841-3CB2B24DA7A1_zps

I had another brief session and moved the ramp further up towards the bank in an attempt to make it up onto the top, but I was off my game and the loctite on the wheel nuts hadn't fully dried, so the session ended early with a lost nut an no back up.

Back to the bench

268521BB-CA3D-4CD1-84BC-6E4AC5B06C7C_zps

Had the mt4 out again, with the 4282 fitted, still on 12t, it'll wheelie as long as I can hold it now, but still not at the level of punch I want, hoping the move to 14t should add what I'm after. Went to another spot, nothing crazy just the plastic ramp and a small bank to jump up onto. Thought it managed to stay in one peice, but found out otherwise when I went to fit the 14t I got in the post from an msuk member, diff case ears AGAIN!!!!! FFS!!!! That's three in three packs. All spares used up now so she's outtill the az rockcrawler delivery arrives. ****** off with it tbf, I genuinely did not hammer it this last time, jumping up onto grass, no bad tumbles. Grr and rant over.

Edited by SmugR

You have to be the unluckiest guy I know when it comes to the diff ears ran mine for a year or more and beat the crap out of it before I broke one !

What bits did you order from Chris ? Was the shipping high ? Last time I went to order the ear brace and shell mounts shipping was stupid something like