• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Garry's Scalers

Garry

Yep, thats right, plural. :lol:

I've wanted a CC01 for a while, the whole scale side of RC appeals to me, and as much as I'd like a scale on-road car (I'm halfway there with the Focus Of Doom), where I live is pretty far from tarmac, so a scale truck was out of the window. Cue, the CC01.

I bought a project Pajero from GunnersRC on here the other week, but the post strike has snagged it somewhere, so while I was waiting for it to turn up, I got this:

photo1743.jpg

Its a Tamiya CC01 with a Jeep Cherokee KJ body. I don't know the brand, but it suits the chassis well.

photo1744o.jpg

photo1745.jpg

photo1746.jpg

photo1747.jpg

photo1748.jpg

photo1749.jpg

photo1750.jpg

photo1751.jpg

The car was a roller apart from a motor, and its stock apart from the different lower links. I don't know if its ballraced, but its got locked diffs. :D Its got a few issues I need to deal with (new front hubs needed, links adjusting, some electrics going in, shocks adjusting for more articulation), but thats half the fun of the rigs.

photo1752.jpg

photo1753.jpg

photo1754a.jpg

photo1755.jpg

photo1756.jpg

photo1757.jpg

When the Pajero turns up, I'll have a think about what to do with it, it may be pillaged for parts or turned into another trail truck.

Oh, and when I get bored of the Cherokee, I'll slip on this....

photo1758.jpg

photo1759d.jpg

photo1760.jpg

photo1761.jpg

nice.

if you stick that range rover on, post pics of how you lengthened the rear links. How are they mounted now? Those aren't standard mount points.

Looks good mate :good::good::good:

Now get that chassis stretched and fit the Rangie shell ;)

when i look for a cc01 on ebay ( id wuite like one) there are only a few hit for parts where am i going wrong

i like the basic but functional machanics on these and with a bit of time spent they look good too :lol:

CHeers for the comments guys.

nice.

if you stick that range rover on, post pics of how you lengthened the rear links. How are they mounted now? Those aren't standard mount points.

I need to take it all apart and see how the links go together (I'm a trailing noob!), but I get the feeling I'm going to get a few long turnbuckles and fuel tubing, and do it that way. Driveshaft and shocks are a different matter. :lol:

its the links that confuse me. I have a bunch of M4, M5 and M6 threaded rod from B&Q, and some aluminium tubing to cover it up to look neat. I have some traxxas rod ends on the way but I don't know what size they'll take. Also have some taps to cut out the threads if necessary. It all feels a bit confusing at the moment.

Driveshaft isn't too bad. I'm looking at two alternatives at the moment. I've ordered a replacement tamiya yoke like the one near the rear axle, so it'll have grub screws in both ends. Then just a long bit of 5mm rod and you're good to go.

If it needs to slide, then I have two packs of traxxas stampede half shafts, and some yokes on the way. You attach one wider female halfshaft to the yoke on the axle side, do the same for the motor side. Then for the middle part, use two of the narrower male ones and one female, chop the U-joints off, then you can glue them into each other to form a longer axle (adjusting for length). Then glue all of that into the axle end, letting the motor end free to slide in and out a bit as the suspension flexes.

Good link here

Awesome, cheers for that link. I think for ease of use I'll go down the slider route, but if I can find some cheap rods I'll try your double yoke method as then all it needs is the rod cutting to length and attaching.

This is an uphill learning curve, but I'll crawl up it. :P

Quick update, the Cherokee got a new hub as one of the mounting holes was snapped and retapped, which worked but limited the steering lock in one direction. It was donated from the Pajero, which is going to be a rolling parts rig. :lol: The light enclosures got drilled out for the LED kit that is going in too, got to mount and reglue the lenses now. And the electrics are kinda in, need to fabricate a battery strap. :)