• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Photography!

richhrly

what better glass would you recommend?

It depends on what you are shooting really. You need to define your style befor we can point you at lenses.

Lets just say when I had the 1000D I ditched the kit 18-55 not long after. Its a good lens but not that good.

For better image quality on what was then the entry level body I got a Tamron 17-50 F2.8, Canon 70-200 F4 and the Canon 50mm F1.8

All these lenses on the 1000D produced outstanding results

Here's one example of the 1000D with the 70-200mm F4 L strapped to it (look at the detailed the lens has resolved in the top left hand corner as well as overall at wide open aperture (F4)))

4885233239_9fd4665e38_b_d.jpg

Edited by stupar

It depends on what you are shooting really. You need to define your style befor we can point you at lenses.

Lets just say when I had the 1000D I ditched the kit 18-55 not long after. Its a good lens but not that good.

For better image quality on what was then the entry level body I got a Tamron 17-50 F2.8, Canon 70-200 F4 and the Canon 50mm F1.8

All these lenses on the 1000D produced outstanding results

Here's one example of the 1000D with the 70-200mm F4 L strapped to it (look at the detailed the lens resolved in the top left hand corner)

been looking at the 70-200 what about the 24-105?

The 24-105 is a nice lens but is really geared as a walkabout for full frame.

On a crop body 24mm becomes 38mm effective which isn't very wide especially if your doing good landscape work.

Like I say, define your style and we can advise you better.

Sent using Resurrection Remix JB ROM & DorimanX Kernalled SG2

The 24-105 is a nice lens but is really geared as a walkabout for full frame.

On a crop body 24mm becomes 38mm effective which isn't very wide especially if your doing good landscape work.

Like I say, define your style and we can advise you better.

Sent using Resurrection Remix JB ROM & DorimanX Kernalled SG2

I do take quite a lot of pictures of BMXers so quite fast moving subjects and really want to get into macro it looks amazing

Edited by itsme93

I do take quite a lot of pictures of BMXers so quite fast moving subjects and really want to get into macro it looks amazing

in that case maybe look at something like a 60mm macro F2.8? 60mm should be both wide enough and long enough for sports photography (i use my 70-300 for sports and find it spot on at 70mm), but you also have the close minimum focus distance for macro stuff, or if your cheap like me get a cheap set of extension rings and a 50mm D lens and reversing ring to get results like posted last page :) (note: i am not a canon user and as such dont know the background of the lens and its reputation)

http://www.parkcameras.com/1873/Canon-EF-S-60mm-f-2-8-USM-Macro.html?referrer=Froogle+&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid1873&gclid=CJvT0L7337ICFaTHtAodkRoA1g

• Like 1

24-105 is alright, handy, but not the best. 24-70 and 70-200 are better bets.

anygood

http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_2821wt_1166

wow the price of that looks amazing but i think its abit out of my price range

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EF-24-70mm-f-2-8-L-USM-Lens-MINT-CONDITION-/200825384220?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item2ec2202d1c#ht_722wt_1397

Edited by itsme93

I've used the 100mm macro (well Joe's actually) for macro and sports... Very capable lens and utterly amazing wide open. Also own a 70-200 F4 and most of the shots I post in here are taken with it :)

100mm macro:

7902571874_bc68bcc917_z.jpg

(3) British Cycling Youth Nationals 31/07/12 by Measurez, on Flickr

7902391496_e875bc6089_z.jpg

(20) British Cycling Youth Nationals 31/07/12 by Measurez, on Flickr

1st shot was taken with a 10D... Far older than your 1100D and I still use it a lot :)

• Like 1

70-200 F4 is ace. Absolute gem of a lens, for the money it's a steal. Sharper than my F2.8 IS mk1, takes a converter better, lighter, faster AF. Top lens. Especially if you're in to sports stuff.

ok cheers buddy will look into it what about a lower focal length like the 15-85 that anygood i cant afford the 24-70 any other good sharp lenses for a reasonable prce

Canon 17-40 is great if you want an L lens. Otherwise I've heard good things about Sigma 10-22s or something. Not owned one myself but I think a few chaps on here have one.

ok thanks very much for your advise. its always good to get advise from the professional

I think that one is spot on Harry. Just the right amount of processing.

If I was going to be uber picky I'd say it needs a wee clockwise rotation by about half a degree.

Otherwise a lovely shot!

Thanks, and it's funny you should say that it's been back and forth more than a ship in a storm! :D

Ha ha!

The reason I like your last shot is because it still maintains an element of reality about it.

Your previous offerings have not been my cup of tea as I'm not a fan of OTT HDR. That said what you did suited the subject and there will be other people out there who like the grungy smooth effect!

This one looks like a screen shot from a train sim :thumbsup:

Ha ha!

The reason I like your last shot is because it still maintains an element of reality about it.

Your previous offerings have not been my cup of tea as I'm not a fan of OTT HDR. That said what you did suited the subject and there will be other people out there who like the grungy smooth effect!

This one looks like a screen shot from a train sim :thumbsup:

Me neither, normally... If I'm going to do HDR I will go completely and utterly mad but I don't don't do them often. I took a leaf out of your book this time and kept a hold of the reigns while converting to a HDR.

Just need to add some exhaust smoke now :L

Can't beat a good dark pic fella, they both look pretty sweet to me.

I'm a fan of dark

cheers, im covering at a different customer this afternoon and they have PS6 on their machine so i will have another play and see what you think....

i too like dark pics, and get told alot of the time my pics are too dark, but for some reason i cant stand bright pictures...even my sunrise/set pictures have to have some sort of darkness lol

Here's a photo I took stood close to the edge of a runway at Heathrow.

_MG_8655.jpg

And in no way is that a massively unsubtle segue in the following. "Rich, is there a wonderful way where we can keep up with your antics as you click, shout and edit your way through work?" is probably something that has literally never crossed your minds. And never shall it! For the answer lies in both my Facebook and Twitter feeds. I promise these things are not personal feeds, and are nearly always to do with work, aviation, or anything else cool to do with photography or aviation. I keep all my drunken antics to separate feeds!