• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

plane

oh thats awsome least you can have a look in the box b4 you buy it and the guys there could help you with construction advice if you decide to buy it :good: and yea see if you can get the spitfire cheap specialy if its a display model lol ^_^

steve

oh thats awsome least you can have a look in the box b4 you buy it and the guys there could help you with construction advice if you decide to buy it :good: and yea see if you can get the spitfire cheap specialy if its a display model lol ^_^

steve

well its not on display. the guy bought it to see if he could make them up himself and sell it rtr but he never finished it and its just sitting in its box in the back of the warehouse but since he doesn't have it on the system he will probably never sell it unless of course i turn up and offer him some money :D .

ahh i see your thinking ;) i like it :D:D go for the kill and go offer him somthin hehe

steve

well i needs to get some money to offer him first. shouldn't be too long, birthdays in november. i think its this one. it says electric only but would i be able to do a diy nitro conversion once ive mastered it as an electric? if so what size engine would i need [i'm thinking .25 ish]

oo i cant see why not if you can go nitro to electric on planes you could go other direction i supose lol i think u might need or be best going with a 30-40 engine ^_^ underpowerd is worse than overpowerd as it will want to stall all the time if it even takes off :lol:

steve

oo i cant see why not if you can go nitro to electric on planes you could go other direction i supose lol i think u might need or be best going with a 30-40 engine ^_^ underpowerd is worse than overpowerd as it will want to stall all the time if it even takes off :lol:

steve

i can see what you mean its roughly the same size as planes with .40 engines and yeah, you can never have too much power :ph34r: . i was thinking it wouldve been more of a heavy front end issue than power though

theres hardly any size difference between a 25 and a 30 tbh even the 40 isnt much bigger. but the model is a fair size so i dont think it would make too much diff you could always move the c of g back a bit i supose if it was a bit nose heavy ^_^

steve

theres hardly any size difference between a 25 and a 30 tbh even the 40 isnt much bigger. but the model is a fair size so i dont think it would make too much diff you could always move the c of g back a bit i supose if it was a bit nose heavy ^_^

steve

yeahi could put the fuel tank as far back and weight it a bit. would be nice i i could get it. i like spitfires :)

yep :D always a solution to any problem ^_^ couple of tiny lead weights glued to certain places could sort out any issues if you cant move the tank far enough back ^_^

steve

of course if the tank is providing most of the weight it wouls slowly get more and more nose heavy as it burns fuel :P . one thing how do you know when is best to land ie how long before your engine runs out of fuel? or is it a case of land after somethink like 5 mins and keep topping up fuel? [im guessing batteries would have the usual deterioration in power before they run out just enough to get you on the ground]

hehe yea :P the tank is usualy squashed behind the firewall that the engines bolted to. the handling can change a bit when its empty but nothing drastic lol ^_^ id say a 10-15 min flight would be realistic then you would be best off landing lol but when you get to kno the plane better deadstick landings are quite easy too :D . and with electric ones they either gradualy lose power which u will notice because the dont climb as fast so thens best time to land or the motor will have a cutout which stops it dead and leaves you to glide it back down :good: but you should get say 10-20 mins depending on battery you use and also down to how u fly during the time its in the air lol ^_^

steve

hehe yea :P the tank is usualy squashed behind the firewall that the engines bolted to. the handling can change a bit when its empty but nothing drastic lol ^_^ id say a 10-15 min flight would be realistic then you would be best off landing lol but when you get to kno the plane better deadstick landings are quite easy too :D . and with electric ones they either gradualy lose power which u will notice because the dont climb as fast so thens best time to land or the motor will have a cutout which stops it dead and leaves you to glide it back down :good: but you should get say 10-20 mins depending on battery you use and also down to how u fly during the time its in the air lol ^_^

steve

ah. i was under the impression you couldn't land unless it had the engine/motor running to keep it in the air.

nah you can land it deadstick but it is easyer to have a little power left incase u need to adjust height and that at the last min ^_^

steve

well. half term is a comin and i'm gonna go and talk to this guy with the spitfire. i'm not sure what stage of building it he got to but he did say something about servos so it might just want some radio gear and a motor system but i don't really know. btw do you know if that spitfire can be hand launched? there is a very good spot for flying i know lots of people go there but there isn't much in the way of a useable runway.

yea it should beable to be hand launched dude :D i have to hand launch mine and in some cases i catch it too :lol:

steve

well landing won't be too hard i shouldn't think, there loads of really long grass up there, not suitable for takeoff methinks but will slow it down really fast.

hehe long grass is good mate ideal landing spot ^_^ tree's stop it faster tho but you dont wanna be using that option much at all :lol::lol:

steve

haha. na there ain't many trees where i'll be flying.

oo thats a gd thing :D stay away from the few that are around tho lol i managed to land at the top of a 40ft fir tree :whistling: had to get a long ladder and a pole to get the bloody thing down :lol:

steve

lol that must've been fun. so what motor setup would you reccomend for this? it says 600 size but i haven't a clue. don't mind brushless but i'd like to avoid lipo because i get the impression lipo batteries are very fussy about charging etc.

ahh oki 600 size motor eh. cool thats gonna have some power behind it haha as my chipmunk only has a 300 size i think :lol: but mine has lipo so it gives a little extra omphh to it :P so id stay clear of brushless for now :lol: you will need a 8.4v batt i think for that size motor ;) (have to check on that) heres link to the motor its the Speed Gear 600 BB

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=1209

and esc this would be ideal Fusion 25A Airpower Speed Controller (also takes lipo)

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=26646

steve

holy cow i just seen this what a bargin!!!

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=26839

Edited by rustybasher

holy cow i just seen this what a bargin!!!

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=26839

well the motors seem all well and good would any nimh battery work or do you need specific plane batteries? that radio looks good but although its 1/4 of the price its still

Edited by adolf hamster

nah any 8.4 pack will be oki dude :good: and yea i love the radio if i had the money i would order it now :lol: all this plane talk has tempted me to buy the twin engine warbird on there :whistling: but im trying to resist the temptation :lol:

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=20934

have to admit she is beautiful :blush:

steve

nah any 8.4 pack will be oki dude :good: and yea i love the radio if i had the money i would order it now :lol: all this plane talk has tempted me to buy the twin engine warbird on there :whistling: but im trying to resist the temptation :lol:

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=20934

have to admit she is beautiful :blush:

steve

nice. i saw a p38 somewhere too, just give in. you know you want too :ph34r: