• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Pimp My Wheelchair Project

The_Blue_Dragon

Cool. All flashy and neony. (Despite the german number plate;o))

What way your 1/4 mile time at the york raceway?

dont mean to put you off but i wouldnt recommand wiring it from one of the battery as both battery must always be balanced with equal voltage as they are series linked to give out 24v to maximise the life of the batteries, you can always get a 24v to 12v converter which is a safe bet, looks cool tho, why not do it all over the powerchair

Lol thats beast! Is irt purely for racing purposes or do you actually use it day to day? Either way nice one Im well impressed and nice to see someone making a chair less clinical

• 7 years later...

I've not been on here in years so thought I'd post an update. Now that the wheelchair stands out I take it to car shows to display it and raise money for charity 

Currently it has a custom underglow kit, Nitrous purge system, solar panel, modified wheels, custom seat and now a working car sound system.

To expand the project I also now have a mobility scooter which was given tion me by CareCo Mobility to do anything I'd like to. This currently has custom paint job, modified seat, 7inch led light bar and now a system that imitates air suspension like a lowrider. I will soon be fitting a sound system, air horn, underglow kit and larger wheels. 

Let me know what you think and for more details, pictures and videos checkout the links below. 

Www.pimpedwheelchair.co.uk 

Www.facebook.com/pimpedwheelchair 

FB_IMG_1464654313521.jpg

image79-4.jpg

FB_IMG_1464382457616.jpg

• Like 2

I actually play around mobility scooters, ive had both of mums going double the speed they were intended to. Days ST1 doing 10 mph from 4mph max and her biggun doing 15 mph from a standard 7.5 mph by using a cheap PWM controller off ebay. Also used 2x 6s lipo's in parallel to bring the battery box weight right down from 18kg down to 4kg in the ST1

Edited by NuttyProfessor

on the mobo scooter . 

maybe some small sized 50cc quad wheels sporting some off road knobblys .
fake Harm winch unit up front and a land anchor stowed behind the seats rear 
bosh out that wierd steering handle bar and add a nice renthal MX bike handlebar set. drop in a cut off switch and wire throttle to the twist throttle on the bars.
add something like old rx100 clocks  and pop in a small lcd volt and amp meter inplace of the speedo and rev counter, add a time clock to ( need to know the time )
semi fashion a sporty Micron exhaust out the rear end for giggles . Looks like its gasser powered but its a ecomod, add in a medium size rc servo on the rear and front to a servo controller, with these hooked to the number plates a quick switch and the plates flip up so your safe going through those speed cameras and ANPR cameras :)

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

That's a long time ago 53HRA haha.

TamiyaCowboy, HPI were supposed to be supporting the project by supplying a set of their largest monster truck wheels. Unfortunately they must have changed their minds as they stopped emailing me.

NuttyProfessor, you got any pictures? I'd love to add them to my website.

Carp Martin, for the wheelchair I have a new Pioneer headunit kindly supplied by them. I also need to finish the custom body-kit I'm making and get that painted.  The scooter is getting more lighting, sound system and a trailer to carry extra batteries 

Heya blue, you thought of trying the motorbike dealers. 

i mean your wearing bike gear a good skid lid and likes, bike breakers have all sorts of stuff come in and out of the sites and at dirt cheap prices.
and something like a company sticker on your wagons are going to pull in customers to them. 

Hit up the yamaha - honda - suzuki - kawasaki dealers with your monster chair show them what you have already done and have planned . chat with the company bosses buddy
tug them heart strings and maybe sink a propper sponsorship deal ;)

Piaggio done a 125cc Zip scooter conversion called the Nippy.
they removed the main scooter seat built up a body around the chassis and left the back open for a wheelchair to fit into, have a interweb search buddy
maybe piaggio dealers are worth a look to, be nice to see you roll up that tarmac and put in a sub 20s run :) . reason i think this is because a lot of bikers get propper mashed up and end up in chairs to meaning they loose that freedom and enjoyment from owning a bike, not many bike companys cater for disabled folks and its a shame i think myself.

Heres a nippi starting up via a keyfob mod so you get the idea. 

31 minutes ago, Tamiyacowboy said:

Heya blue, you thought of trying the motorbike dealers. 

i mean your wearing bike gear a good skid lid and likes, bike breakers have all sorts of stuff come in and out of the sites and at dirt cheap prices.
and something like a company sticker on your wagons are going to pull in customers to them. 

Hit up the yamaha - honda - suzuki - kawasaki dealers with your monster chair show them what you have already done and have planned . chat with the company bosses buddy
tug them heart strings and maybe sink a propper sponsorship deal ;)

Piaggio done a 125cc Zip scooter conversion called the Nippy.
they removed the main scooter seat built up a body around the chassis and left the back open for a wheelchair to fit into, have a interweb search buddy
maybe piaggio dealers are worth a look to, be nice to see you roll up that tarmac and put in a sub 20s run :) . reason i think this is because a lot of bikers get propper mashed up and end up in chairs to meaning they loose that freedom and enjoyment from owning a bike, not many bike companys cater for disabled folks and its a shame i think myself.

Heres a nippi starting up via a keyfob mod so you get the idea. 

I've actually test drove one of those before I passed my driving test. It was horrible haha.

As for sponsors I already have a few for the project. But it is always expanding lol

http://pimpedwheelchair.co.uk/links/

look at the Evo Powerboards, I bought a 1600w brushless one, got it running on 14s (58.8v fully charged) hit 18mph on eco mode and 29 on turbo bearing in mind I'm nearly 16 stone. It tries to throw me off as now its using LiPo, instant power instead of the SLA's it came with, also saves 16kg in weight. Add me on Facebook, name is Luigi Macari, all the pics are on there of both of mums scooters. Bald bloke with glasses on.

Wish I could back into RC but my wheelchair uses all my funds at the moment lol. Just to refill the NOS bottles for each show it costs £55 each and I have x2 bottles lol. Not a cheap hobby but I like standing out.

Here's the side panels I'm making myself using 1mm Styrene Sheet. To get the arches the right shape I actually had them laser cut so they are perfectly smooth.

Body-Panels-1.jpg

• Like 1

problem with mobility products, they are massively expensive for what they are because they are a niche market. I wanted to get the programmer to modify mums scooters, one uses a Rhino controller and one uses a CTM which superceded the Rhino, £500+ for the dongle and laptop software and £300+ for the handheld one. If they made them cheaper, would be so much better but I guess its to keep Joe public from messing around with their wheelchairs/scooters. Only way I can see is to replace the controller with something off an eScooter or eBike to remove the restrictions. Seen a 5000w one for around £200 which would light up the rear wheels, couple that with 4x6s lipo's replacing the SLA's and it would go like a rocket.