• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Cleaning your buggy - suggestions

Karim_187

Hey Guys, Does anyone have a guide on how to clean your buggy. I here people talk about washing them with water etc and I am sure there was one on here somewhere but cannot find it. Does anyone have the link?

I need to give my buggy a good clean and was going to go for the hose down option but just wanted to see what i should avoid.

Cheers

I use an air duster on it and apply WD40 to the mechanical parts.

Though you could remove the mechanical parts (if you're not lazy, which I am), wash them in soapy water and then use some grease or oil to lube them up.

Edited by DataMatrix

So far I've just took one or two parts off, like wheels etc and used a large paint brush. I usually run the wheels under an outside tap using the brush. With the damp brush I then use that to remove stubborn dirt.

For clearing all the dirt around the glow plug I have been spraying it with WD40 and using something to push down a rag to clear the area.

These may not be the best options but what I have been doing.

Langy

I use an air duster on it and apply WD40 to the mechanical parts.

Though you could remove the mechanical parts (if you're not lazy, which I am), wash them in soapy water and then use some grease or oil to lube them up.

Air duster is not a bad shout i already use one for my computer. :good:

Thanks for the tip

Air duster is not a bad shout i already use one for my computer. :good:

Thanks for the tip

The only extra point is that dust will become moist due to the fuel going through the system. That is why I used WD40 to clean in the hard to get places but others will suggest something else. Just have it to hand and it works well for me. Letting the car dry out after a day alos helps on some of the dirt.

Langy

Hey Guys, Does anyone have a guide on how to clean your buggy. I here people talk about washing them with water etc and I am sure there was one on here somewhere but cannot find it. Does anyone have the link?

I need to give my buggy a good clean and was going to go for the hose down option but just wanted to see what i should avoid.

Cheers

I have a routine I use every time I clean my car (Once a week). Remove the engine and all electrics. Using a pressure washer, blast all dirt off the chassis etc. Leave to dry then spray the entire car with GT85 lubricant spray and wipe off. You'll be amazed at how this brings life back to the pastic parts. Then Lube all metalic joints with the GT85 spray including cv joints, diff cups etc. Then I remove the air filter from the engine and use rubber caps to blank off the air inlet and exuast outlet on the engine. A stiff brush and hot soapy water does for the engine. Then I wipe over the electrics with a damp cloth and dry them thoroughly. Wheels and tyres are removed and washed in hot soapy water using a stiff brush. Sounds like a lot of work and it does take a couple of hours or so, but it looks as good as new when it's all back together. Whilst I'm at it I usually clean the inner filter in Nitro and re oil and whilst the car is less radio gear and engine it's a good time to check the important screws etc are all ok. I guess I'm just a bit OCD.

I have a routine I use every time I clean my car (Once a week). Remove the engine and all electrics. Using a pressure washer, blast all dirt off the chassis etc. Leave to dry then spray the entire car with GT85 lubricant spray and wipe off. You'll be amazed at how this brings life back to the pastic parts. Then Lube all metalic joints with the GT85 spray including cv joints, diff cups etc. Then I remove the air filter from the engine and use rubber caps to blank off the air inlet and exuast outlet on the engine. A stiff brush and hot soapy water does for the engine. Then I wipe over the electrics with a damp cloth and dry them thoroughly. Wheels and tyres are removed and washed in hot soapy water using a stiff brush. Sounds like a lot of work and it does take a couple of hours or so, but it looks as good as new when it's all back together. Whilst I'm at it I usually clean the inner filter in Nitro and re oil and whilst the car is less radio gear and engine it's a good time to check the important screws etc are all ok. I guess I'm just a bit OCD.

2nd 'ed.

I do the same but i havn't used GT-85 on the whole car, i just use a nice high quality oil to lubricate all the moving parts. and i use a tooth brush and hot soapy water for the engine. i cover the moving parts in oil, then do the engine, then after the engines done wipe off the excess oil.

Works brilliantly and much easier than disassembling the whole car.

"RCChris" has it about right, no case of OCD to answer there mate ;)

I'm pretty much the same. :rolleyes:

Only I don't need to scrub the dirt of.

I use dish washing cloths, toothbrush & tissues. :wub:

I use a little bowl of soapy water to get most of the grass\dirt off.

I then use WD40 to clean\polish all the car, plastic & metal, brings both up nice and shiny.

Tighten all screws & nuts. Bit like a ritual or habit but not OCD.. :P

Hose pipe??? Be gentle to her at home then abuse her on the field... ;)

'Ave fun

dyls1

I take off the engine, fuel tank, exhaust, wheels, servo case but that's about it.

Edited by dyls1

Glad to see it's not just me that takes cleaning that seriosuly! Trouble is where I bash is soooo dusty that the car is filthy in about 1 minute, but I still clean it the same every week!

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the tips.

I have already taken the car apart and have it is bits, chassis, font end with diff, back end with diff and the middle with diff, engine is out and and so is fuel tank.

Will try the soapy water and tooth brush bit and also then spary with wd40 and polish it all up again. Whats the deal with the diffs should i avoid water getting near them.

This is the first time i have take my car apart in so many pieces since i have had it so just want to make sure i don't mess anything up.

Cheers

Karim

If the diffs are pretty sealed (like mine) then I don't really see much need in cleaning them if it's a new model. If it's an oldish model then take it apart, clean everything inside and use grease to relubricate.

I was thinking of taking them apart an giving them a clean. I was going to refil the diffs too.

I have also got a rolling chassis which i picked up on the cheap but some of the bits are a bit rusted. I have checked them and they are all solid no bends or weak spots, but how do you removed the rust i was just going to use steel wool or something smilar is this the best way?

Cheers

I would use a nylon scouring pad fresh from the kitchen draw. ;)

Steel-wool will scratch everything but if that ain't a problem to you, scratch away...

This thread is now in danger of running :offtopic: regards me & my waffle.

I am just about to do my differentials. :(

Renewing the oil inside them.

Maybe you want to look into that as well? :mellow:

I'm having 7000 front 10000 middle & 7000 in the back.

Should make it a little different/better.

Lateeers

dyls1

I would use a nylon scouring pad fresh from the kitchen draw. ;)

Scouring pad sounds like a better option.

Right I am going to carry on working on it tonight and hopefully by the weekend I will have a immaculate buggy that is going to be bashed on Sunday in the mud and grass!!! I can't wait! :lol: