• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

spectrum dx3

kevinjh

Hi all,

Have now purchased a spectrum second hand but it was only used a couple of times.

took it out today to try but had the following problem. When car had gone 40 ft failsafe came on and stopped the car.

Car and handset have been binded as per instructions and the failsafe was set right as it worked ok unfortunately too well. car was just going into a corner when the failsafe came on. this happened every time.

Thought it could be batteries so changed them but had the same happen again.

Rx is the standard spectrum.

Anybody had a similar problem or know what the problem may be.

Kevin

Is the aerial in the car up straight with no bends? As thats what is known to cause range issues. Oh and I would reccomend fitting a standard failsafe to your car as well, as the Spektrum failsafe does not protect against low batteries if I remember rightly.

Is the aerial in the car up straight with no bends? As thats what is known to cause range issues. Oh and I would reccomend fitting a standard failsafe to your car as well, as the Spektrum failsafe does not protect against low batteries if I remember rightly.
currently using venom 1200 flat pack battery, ariel is straight,

Currently resetting all the controller removing all stored data and starting again from scratch.

• 2 weeks later...

Have now found the problem but would appreciate assistance from you good chaps,

ON the hyper 7 I have ace servo on the steering and the tower pro servo on the throttle. I am running the car on venom 1200 flat pack batteries with rechargable nimh batteries in the spectrum.

Batteries on the receiver are going flat very quickly causing the range to drop badly to about 40ft.

Did not have a charger with the spectrum when purchased and so using the old oun with twin wires to both the rx and tx packs. when checking the batteries later the tx batteries are totally flat. could the charger be wired differently? charger was for old 27mhz standard controller.

the only way i can charge batteries on tx is to remove them from specky and use standard aa charger. this means i loose all info in the controller and have to set it up every time.

If batteries are not up to speed on rx what would you recommend? thinking lipo but know nothing about them find info on web hard to understand (the exploding part worries me) Is there better standard batteries i could use.

I am wanting to start racing at my local club but would have trouble with the race times.

Thank You

Kevin

The DX3 TX is wired a different polarity to most others so dont plug it in you could damage the TX.I always charge my TX batteries outside of the transmitter just incase of any short circuits that can melt or even set fire to the transmitter.You do lose info yeah but if only using one model its not so bad just inconvenient,you can get the polarity info off the forum somewhere.For the RX pack LiPo's nned a voltage regulator to keep them at 6v other than that they work fine.I've never tried them personally as NiMh do the job well enough.Just buy a new RX pack,the 1600mah Orion packs are good but Vapextech do great RX packs and are cheap too.... :good:

The DX3 TX is wired a different polarity to most others so dont plug it in you could damage the TX.I always charge my TX batteries outside of the transmitter just incase of any short circuits that can melt or even set fire to the transmitter.... :good:

Had a horrible feeling this was the case, thanks for the quick reply,

How long can the batteries be out before loosing the info settings on the specky?

Also do you know of any chargers that do 8 aa batteries together in 1

How long can the batteries be out before loosing the info settings on the specky?

Modelsport sell a 8 cell charger,have a look at the Kyosho LAV for

I had a very similiar problem with both my specky's and it was down to the charger that i was using, the Rx batterys need to be at around 7-7.4v's this is a correct operating voltage for the specky Tx, they stop at around 4.8v and if you've got good servo's that drain more voltage than standard one's that would not help you,like Mr Terminator says you need a good charger, i use beleive it or not battery's from Ikea in the Tx as this does not require the Amp's that the Rx does, they work just fine and last a long time, but use a good chager that does my Tx batterys, since i got the new charger i've had now problems with batterys :D , hope this helps, Ross

Hi all,

Have now purchased a spectrum second hand but it was only used a couple of times.

took it out today to try but had the following problem. When car had gone 40 ft failsafe came on and stopped the car.

Car and handset have been binded as per instructions and the failsafe was set right as it worked ok unfortunately too well. car was just going into a corner when the failsafe came on. this happened every time.

Thought it could be batteries so changed them but had the same happen again.

Rx is the standard spectrum.

Anybody had a similar problem or know what the problem may be.

Kevin

The newer version of the DX3 has a built-in lithium battery which is apparently good for a number of years so you should not lose your settings. Not sure about the original DX3 though - which one have you got ?

would it be better to run a hump pack on it and cable tie it onto the car? im using the old DX3 i will cheak out weather it has got a battery if it has it may need changing.

Kevin.

would it be better to run a hump pack on it and cable tie it onto the car? im using the old DX3 i will cheak out weather it has got a battery if it has it may need changing.

Kevin.

If I remember rightly you're meant to send it back to the manufacturer to get it changed, and it's not cheap

If I remember rightly you're meant to send it back to the manufacturer to get it changed, and it's not cheap

Been told battery should last 5 years and the specky is 2 years old so hopefully it will be ok.

Are you sure RX should be 7 - 7.4v. batteries fitted at moment are 6v flat pack 1200.

Found that charger I have got is not charging rx correctly so ive got a choice.

do i replace flat pack for hump pack and get charger for this or just get a new charger for flat pack?

have decided as Mr Terminator does to charge tx batteries out of the specky and set up when using.

If i need to get a charger for flat pack is there any you would recommend?

thanks

Kevin

• 4 months later...
Been told battery should last 5 years and the specky is 2 years old so hopefully it will be ok.

Are you sure RX should be 7 - 7.4v. batteries fitted at moment are 6v flat pack 1200.

Found that charger I have got is not charging rx correctly so ive got a choice.

do i replace flat pack for hump pack and get charger for this or just get a new charger for flat pack?

have decided as Mr Terminator does to charge tx batteries out of the specky and set up when using.

If i need to get a charger for flat pack is there any you would recommend?

thanks

Kevin

Hi,just wondering if you can update me on your dx3 probs.I bought one of these ,range was awful .Got it tested by Horizon but was 100%.In the end was refunded by superb Models in Motion ,but still curious.6v battery for rx is ,as far as I know,the highest recomended.

cheers

Martin

Problem with range has now been sorted,

Found that rx performed really poorly if wires (servo battery) were on top of it. Redirected all wires where possible under the rx in the box and range vastly improved. Also spoke to other users at the track who told me to leave about 20mm of antenna out of tube at the top and bend around the tube.

Have done this and now have great range. Others have extended the cable by 50 mm and have had good results.

Regarding the batteries I now use 6v 1600 hump pack and field charge to keep topped up between races.

Hope this helps

Kevin