• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FG Modellsport Monster Truck - First Drive...

Terzo 333

Having converted from nitro to petrol, all I can say is wow !!

Took my new FG Modellsport Monster Truck out last night...what a thing !!

It started on the third pull and only stalled once in 2 hours of running. I ran out of batteries before petrol !

And the things it could do compared to my T Maxx were amazing - I would have had to sweep up my T Maxx had I done the things I was doing to my FG last night :eek:

I suppose the first mod has to be a tuned exhaust ? Any reccomendations ?

What are other common mods to do ? I don't feel it needs modding, just curious.

Also the only slight concern was the lack of grip on the loose stuff...are there any "grippier" tyres out there ?

One very happy petrol convert :D :D

Make sure you keep your throttle and carb linkages clean and oiled, my throttle stuck open and the car ran away, had to stop it by driving into a fence. Have since fitted an engine cut out which works from 3rd channel remote and also an extra return spring to the carb.

As for an exhaust, I have a Samba which transforms the car. There are many things you can do to hop up the car, would recomend disc brakes as when they get moving, they can be hard to stop.

Have fun :)

Alloy engine mounts, trust me you need them. I havnt got to drive mine properly yet due to the crappy stock plastic ones, i also need to fit my 16t pinion. I should have the first drive with mine in about 3 weeks, just need a new alloy engine mount and maybe a new throttle servo. Also need to re-solder the dean connector, but I can do that tonight if I can be bothered. But yeah, I cant wait. It fires and runs great aswell, really nice sound, I aint fitting a tuned exhaust, the stock one is loud enough.

:P i havent got alloy engine mounts, but i think its cos yours is second hand. I highly recommend a steel pinion gear, the plastic ones melt, which then melts the spur gear, melting the spur carrier, and basically gumming it all up :P

If your going to be doing a few jumps, i recommend rear alloy upper arms, the plastic ones flex and strip the spur gear. Apart from that there isnt much you really need, the rest is just nice stuff to have. On my carson attack i have alloy front steering hubs, shock socks all round, rear upper alloy arms, alloy pinion gear (19t) 48t spur, outerwears pullstart, fg standard filter, with pre-filter foam sock, and a outerwears pre-filter on that. (great filtration) Also i found that the screws on the front steering hubs fall out alot (common problem) so i solved it by putting a big zip tie connecting each front arm (upper and lower) so it holds them together, reducing the movement cause while jumping (and hard bashing :P) and i havent had the problem since.

:P i havent got alloy engine mounts, but i think its cos yours is second hand. I highly recommend a steel pinion gear, the plastic ones melt, which then melts the spur gear, melting the spur carrier, and basically gumming it all up :P

If your going to be doing a few jumps, i recommend rear alloy upper arms, the plastic ones flex and strip the spur gear. Apart from that there isnt much you really need, the rest is just nice stuff to have. On my carson attack i have alloy front steering hubs, shock socks all round, rear upper alloy arms, alloy pinion gear (19t) 48t spur, outerwears pullstart, fg standard filter, with pre-filter foam sock, and a outerwears pre-filter on that. (great filtration) Also i found that the screws on the front steering hubs fall out alot (common problem) so i solved it by putting a big zip tie connecting each front arm (upper and lower) so it holds them together, reducing the movement cause while jumping (and hard bashing :P) and i havent had the problem since.

yeah, i have a steel pinion gear just needs fitting. 16t. and i replaced the mount, it needed a new one but like a fool, i bought plastic instead of alloy and it wont hold, keeps moving so gonna get an alloy one in a few weeks. ill have it running soon. Its almost all alloy anyway, the only things that arent are the radio plate and engine mount (one side is alloy, one side isnt LOL).

Edited by m3lyc

pipe wise id recommend looking at a samba, jetpro or DDM dominator, all of these will make a significant perfromance increase. You can do other things like engine upgrades etc, but if your jumping like mentioned above maybe go for ally arms. Also when i had my FG i found the brakes wernt great so maybe down the line look at fron discs, however these can be quite pricey.

Have since fitted an engine cut out which works from 3rd channel remote and also an extra return spring to the carb

i really like this idea, very good :)

Edited by spudski

• 2 weeks later...
Make sure you keep your throttle and carb linkages clean and oiled, my throttle stuck open and the car ran away, had to stop it by driving into a fence. Have since fitted an engine cut out which works from 3rd channel remote and also an extra return spring to the carb.

As for an exhaust, I have a Samba which transforms the car. There are many things you can do to hop up the car, would recomend disc brakes as when they get moving, they can be hard to stop.

Have fun :)

Sorry to the original poster for going off-topic here, but could you maybe give us a bit more info on your remote cut-off system, sounds rather handy lol. Or maybe put a guide in the 'guide' section?? :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...