• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

can you get sponsorship?

midi-mania

i know this might sound strange... but can you get sponsorship from engine and part manufacturers?? you know like, they give you a engine for free/cheep and you put their stickers all over your car and radio gear and stuff???

i know its a long shot but i think tis the only way i could get my hyper to be able to compete with the likes of chris52 :good:

because he has a much bigger budget and i want to get my car to his kindof speeds

Edited by midi-mania

No matey, without being funny, you wouldn't get sponsored for what your doing, too many complications.

eg say u wanted picco to sponsor you, but they may say we dont want to be associated with ho bao ect ect also for it to be worth their while, you'd need to be getting major publicity, which, lets be frank you wont get, chris has the worlds fastest (and original) 1/8th twin engined buggy, hand it took him that to get on the rb home page, say u went for a picco sponsor, they ain't gunna give you free / cheap products and then pay for advertising too.

And without been funny or offensive matey, their gunna look at you and see a kid who wants some free/ cheap gear, nothing more, advice, GET A JOB! heehee sorry couldn't resist :P

but seriously matey, chris has a bigger budget, but he didn't wake up and find him self surrounded buy cash, he worked hard for it, if you want something fork for it matey, if its not worth working and working hard for, its probs not worth having, there are no short cuts mate, work at it :)

but seriously matey, chris has a bigger budget, but he didn't wake up and find him self surrounded buy cash, he worked hard for it, if you want something fork for it matey, if its not worth working and working hard for, its probs not worth having, there are no short cuts mate, work at it :)

Some great advice there Turner Boy :thumbsup:

It took me 3 yrs before I even got a hint of any help when I was racing the boats,even then it was'nt a major sponsor but it helped a lot for everything bar engines.As Scotty said,you cant just ask and get unless your proving your model and getting noticed competetively,you have to work at it and be fully dedicated to a point of obsession... :good:

I suppose its the same as any sport you are only going to get sponsorship A.If you show a natural ability or flare for that sport.and B.That the company are going to get good exposure by sponsoring you.The top boys have worked hard to earn them these deals and at the end of the day you dont get anything for free.

When I was racing Mountain Bikes to help out I got in touch with several small American companies who were trying to break into the UK. I managed to get them in a few magazines and web sites and in return they sent me a frame and clothes. Probably completely different in RC cars but I have no experience of racing cars, I guess you have to give something before you get it. Just saying my bit.....

I suppose its the same as any sport you are only going to get sponsorship A.If you show a natural ability or flare for that sport.and B.That the company are going to get good exposure by sponsoring you.The top boys have worked hard to earn them these deals and at the end of the day you dont get anything for free.

Spot on,could'nt agree with you more mate... :)

aaron has a good point, if your doing well in the races and getting noticed and your name is in print, approach the smaller companies and see what you can do for them, not what they can do for you.

i know this might sound strange... but can you get sponsorship from engine and part manufacturers?? you know like, they give you a engine for free/cheep and you put their stickers all over your car and radio gear and stuff???

i know its a long shot but i think tis the only way i could get my hyper to be able to compete with the likes of chris52 :good:

because he has a much bigger budget and i want to get my car to his kindof speeds

You've got it the wrong way around, you have to do well against good drivers (win some events, get noticed basically) and then you may be approached. They (companies) don't just sponsor random people. And if your budget is holding you back, don't think that getting sponsored will help that. It is abit of a myth that sponsored drivers get stuff thrown at them to use, the vast majority of the time it is just a discount, and in some cases that will make it harder for you to do well as you are forced to use a certain manufacturers products, which may not be the best anyway. You will also be expected to travel all over to take part in events, which will drive up the cost even more.

so chris is sponsored by RB? :D

no mate i'm not sponsered by rb the only thing they gave me was some stickers and a spotlight on there website which was more for their benefit than mine, your wasting your time trying to get sponsership from any manufacturer uless your a world champion racer.

what you have to remember is that this is a hobby, their is no profit in hobbies just expense, but if you enjoy it thats all that counts. :D

chr :D is

I come from a skateboard background. I was sponsored for a good few years and then I went on to be a team manager for a UK distributor. The only people I would look twice at were people in the magazines off their own back [motivated], good at what they do, friendly and professional and someone who was marketable. It takes a lot of things to get hooked up by a brand and you cant expect free stuff for doing nothing. As someone mentioned-if you are good enough and out there then Im sure someone will see that.