• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Engine Choice

babylon

So many engines, such little money, I'm looking for a replacment engine for a CRT in about the 100 quid area give or take, I got a new CRT SE at christmas witch I put my Force .28 in and dropped a TTR .28 in my old CRT, Well the TTR engine gave up the ghost and put it's conrod through the side of the crankcase the other day(it was a bit crap anyway) so I'm after a replacement.

I am just a part time basher when I have the time between work, so I need Rotostart or pullstart that can be converted(have a spare force Rotostart) as have no starterbox and I hate pullstarts, I'v had a STS DM28 and hated it, tickover was all over the place, would never hold a tune, so has left a bad taste in the mouth, To be honest the best engine I have had is the Force 28 which I found to be faster than the STS, would hold a tune from one day to the next and could scream like a banshee , so I could just get another one from MSUK for £100 and be done with it, But we all like a change, But it must be a least as powerfull as the Force and not to tempremental in the tuning department.

So please, all suggestions welcome.

I know a few truggy racers who have had great results with the Go .25 engines. Higher revving than a .28 and very powerfull. I have the .21 version in my Hyper. Awesome power, but be warned they are amazingly tight when new.

Jamie Booth is using one in his CRT SE , and that is about as good a recommendation as you can get!

Click here for more info > http://tinyurl.com/29zsax

Edited by Hyperhuggy

Yeah,Go engines rock and they are very good quality too,I have a little Go .06 engine and its one of the best runners I have and the .21 is a cracker.For the money you could get a F4.6 from MS for under a ton and the Machstar .28 is around £110.... :good:

Thing is, The go .25 is not Pull or Rotostart, Don't get me wrong, I know I am slicing my options down with the rotostart thing, but a starter box adds 30 to 40 quid to the price and I like to pull the car up stick the drill in the back and away I go.

I would probably rather just get another force 28 than I would a HPI or Macstar, Some I would like some feedback on are This and This or do I just buy This and then get This or This.

So fit one to it then

No need to be like that

But Forgive me if I am wrong, I dont think you can fit a pull start to a non pullstart engine without changing the crank.

a good cheep engine for the CRT is the hyper 21 pro you can get them from HK for about £70 proper little screamers very high reving easy to tune perfect cheep engine you wont get anything better in your price range come in pullstart or box start

if you want to stick with a big bore engine then the STS .28 goes well lots of torque not the highest reving engine out there but it builds up to speed fast lots of people love them and for £80 you cant go wrong

I did have a STS 28DM but never had any real success with it,had better bottom end than the force and as you say was not the highest reving, But I could never get it to tickover right or hold a tune, But maybe I just had a lemon, It's a case of starter box and a big selection of engines, or Rotostart and not as good a selection, And have you ever been done by customs for a engine from over the water.

Ive found that every bad word said about an STS engine has been about the .28 or .30 and rarely here anyone complain about the .21, i run a .21 in my Hyper and its a great engine and for £70 nobody can complain really, great engine, even better for the price of it :D

I must say that the Go is top of my list at the moment,The best Engine I have had so far is the Force so I have to base everything against that, So dose anyone know what the Go it is like compared to the Force, And what Rotostart is compatable.

Ive found that every bad word said about an STS engine has been about the .28 or .30 and rarely here anyone complain about the .21, i run a .21 in my Hyper and its a great engine and for £70 nobody can complain really, great engine, even better for the price of it

Maybe I should have been clearer. for a newbie I dont rate them as they all take some work. And your right for 70 sheets they are good value

what would be a good replacement for a force 25 ???? think im gone off force engines

dont get me wrong it goes like a rocket ... especially on 25% but this pressure spring thing gettin me down

Edited by fekker

I'm confused,all the first 2 links had pullstarts so whats the problem,the Nosram .28 EVO 3 is easily the best engine out of the ones you showed imo.The Go .25 truggy engine is also a top motor but the Nossie is the one i'd get.The CRT i'm getting has a STS .30 but i've never had STS so I cant comment on them yet... :) If its a pullstart you want get the Nosram if rotastart get the backplate and use a drill.Its that easy mate... :lol:

Edited by Mr Terminator

yeah yeah im an idiot but whats an sts ?

p.s. would a traxxas 3.3 engine fit my rex ???

WTF do you want a small block in a 1/8 scale buggy for?Are you on glue? :lol: It'd fit with a bit of mauling but they're crap engines and have a lot of issues most of the time anyway.... :)

WTF do you want a small block in a 1/8 scale buggy for?Are you on glue? :lol: It'd fit with a bit of mauling but they're crap engines and have a lot of issues most of the time anyway.... :)

jack daniels anyone???? seemed like a good idea in my head right up until the big T gave me an uppercut and landed me safely back to earth . cheers dude

reakon that nosram would work well?

or should i go for the Ho-Bao Mach28 6-Port Pullstart ? cheers T

jack daniels anyone???? seemed like a good idea in my head right up until the big T gave me an uppercut and landed me safely back to earth . cheers dude

reakon that nosram would work well?

or should i go for the Ho-Bao Mach28 6-Port Pullstart ? cheers T

Nosram all day if you want to spend that much,although they're not much more than the others mentioned and are a lot of stonk for your dollar.The Hyper .21 8 port would be a good choice for a buggy though and the Macstar .28 is a decent allround engine with good power.My Hyper goes like f&%k with the Macstar.... :good:

nothing wrong with STS engines took me in to many finals in the past agreed its highly modafird but i have naver had any issue with my STS21T the .28 is also ok but the .30 is a royal pain in the arse stay away from them

not a huge fan of GO engines myself they only place mine have "GO"ne is in the bin after half a gallon

macstar??? im a noob will look now cheers ... isnt it a case of you get what you pay for ??? hense force .25's not being for sale cos of this starting problem ??

Dont know fella but you wont go wrong with a Machstar plus they're cheaper to repair than most... :good: The Macstar is about 109 quid on Modelsports website but them HPI F4.6 are good for £95.Like you say its a buyers nightmare choosing.... :) The Machstar as its spelt is standard in the Hyper .28 and the Hyper ST and Pirate MT.. :good:

Edited by Mr Terminator