• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

how long for a glow starter to charge?

kgsric

fuel just delivered got everything now but car wont start removed glow plug & wasnt glowing (was fine otherday when i checked) so hopefully just glow charger, how long should i charge it for? how much is a glow plug & which one would i need for a hpi rush evo thats broke in? cheers

fuel just delivered got everything now but car wont start removed glow plug & wasnt glowing (was fine otherday when i checked) so hopefully just glow charger, how long should i charge it for? how much is a glow plug & which one would i need for a hpi rush evo thats broke in? cheers

Ignitors when new do slightly discharge - It'll stop once it's had a few cycles of been charged and used :)

They take around 9 to 12 hours to charge, on the back it should tell you :)

To be on the safe side try about 12 hours

And for a glowplug for the t-15 engine

Nothing better then the OS A3 Plug :)

A Hot plug suitable for small engines and low Nitro content :)

Ziggy

Ignitors when new do slightly discharge - It'll stop once it's had a few cycles of been charged and used :)

They take around 9 to 12 hours to charge, on the back it should tell you :)

To be on the safe side try about 12 hours

And for a glowplug for the t-15 engine

Nothing better then the OS A3 Plug :)

A Hot plug suitable for small engines and low Nitro content :)

Ziggy

Thanks for reply, its about 4 months old, can you give them a "quick" charge to use them or start without the glow charger?

i found continually short charging my ignitor cooked it

Doing it once or twice wont be as bad, but remember it wont last as long

I'd say try a 4 hour charge really to get anything okay out of it

However once your done, do put it back on charge for the full charge time :)

Lets just sort ur terminology out as its getting hard to read

Glowplug = The little coil that u put in the engine

Ignitor = The device u put over the glowplug to Heat it/glow

Glow Charger = The device used to recharge the IGNITOR :)

Right

U cant start a model without a ignitor, as u need to coil to glow to get it to start the combustion cycle off

Hope this helps

Ziggy

i found continually short charging my ignitor cooked it

Doing it once or twice wont be as bad, but remember it wont last as long

I'd say try a 4 hour charge really to get anything okay out of it

However once your done, do put it back on charge for the full charge time :)

Lets just sort ur terminology out as its getting hard to read

Glowplug = The little coil that u put in the engine

Ignitor = The device u put over the glowplug to Heat it/glow

Glow Charger = The device used to recharge the IGNITOR :)

Right

U cant start a model without a ignitor, as u need to coil to glow to get it to start the combustion cycle off

Hope this helps

Ziggy

Thanks ziggy, its currently got a r5 which i think is a cold plug, will moving to a hot glowplug make it easier to start?

read your manuel itll tell you in there

ye but only the instructions you got with the glow starter if you read the instructions you got with the car it wouldn't tell you anything because it depends on the ouput and input of the charger and the battery Mah

nath B)

ya know iv been thinking about this as mine was flat after about 20 min, fair enough it was a first start on a new car and it was a pig to start, i was wondering if theres a Ignitor out there that ya can plug into ya cig lighter in the car and ya get a instant Ignitor, its only the same as ya cig lighter and its 12v

I had the same problem but mine was too much use i had and still have a puney little HPI racing glow starter ataround 1800 mAh but paid 20 quid for a 4500mAh which lasts me a whole day of starting but takes 12 hours for a full charge. i carry both around with me at all times

This is the one i have that is 4500 mAh

http://www.jespares.com/radio-controlled-m...lowstarter.html

really worth the money

ALso there are quick chargeres and instant ignitors have a habbit of blowing your glow plugs alot as most glow plugs run off a max of 1.2v

Edited by allenc93

• 2 weeks later...

you guys keep saying READ YOUR MANUAL to the new people... my manual hardly has anything! says carb settings, how to start and thats about it!!!! exept a sheet of paper for shock setups ona hyper 7 or 8 pro but the mounts are different to mine anyway so its uselesss... also a sheet of part numbers and prices :boredlook:

how do you guys put the glow plug in the heater? i have to put it on my desk and attempt to fit it in how do you guys do it? and when i release the plug it fires out the heater unless i put it against something (this was to see that the plug worked right)

Fingers mate rofl