• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

baja update (firstrun)

smiithy1

hi all just to let yous no i have had the copy baja out and i must say ita amazing as i have only eva had nitro but gave up a year or so back and these things are so much better.

well first of all i bought 5 liters of bp ultimate yesterday and also some castrol tts 2stroke oil i mixed 175ml into the 5 liters of fuel as its inbetween the 200ml and 150ml what is sticked on the forum and i think i will stick with this mix unless yous give a better option.

well the battery was charged. i had the petrol and i had to give it a quick blast out i only ran it in the car park just down and back up the straight only used half a tank of fuel and i was just taking it easy half throttle and a little quick bleep of full throttle now and again just for a second these thing are fast for the size or them much quicker than i thought and that was just on half throttle carnt wait to give it a propa blast about. will i need to ajust any engin settings when the cars has had the first few tanks through the engin , and i have just recived my dominator pipe today but didnt want to fit it untill i had a go of it with the standed pipe on what difference will the be from the standed as the standed is loud already

hi all just to let yous no i have had the copy baja out and i must say ita amazing as i have only eva had nitro but gave up a year or so back and these things are so much better.

well first of all i bought 5 liters of bp ultimate yesterday and also some castrol tts 2stroke oil i mixed 175ml into the 5 liters of fuel as its inbetween the 200ml and 150ml what is sticked on the forum and i think i will stick with this mix unless yous give a better option.

well the battery was charged. i had the petrol and i had to give it a quick blast out i only ran it in the car park just down and back up the straight only used half a tank of fuel and i was just taking it easy half throttle and a little quick bleep of full throttle now and again just for a second these thing are fast for the size or them much quicker than i thought and that was just on half throttle carnt wait to give it a propa blast about. will i need to ajust any engin settings when the cars has had the first few tanks through the engin , and i have just recived my dominator pipe today but didnt want to fit it untill i had a go of it with the standed pipe on what difference will the be from the standed as the standed is loud already

Hi mate,good to here your in love again :lol: you'll just have to tweak the mixture as and when needed but takes these engines a fair bit longer to bed in than nitro,you can feel in the performance when it starts to loosen up properly and just adjust it then.Well chuffed your enjoying it after the long wait.The Dominator will be quite a bit louder than the standard but I'd let things bed in before you fit it and you'll notice the difference more if you use it standard for a bit longer when you do eventually fit it, you could fit it now it won't do no damage or owt.... :good:

Glad to hear you got it ok and got it running.Like Terminator said the Dom will be quite a bit louder but make that alot louder than the standard pipe.Now i am no expert with petrol but i have been told on HBF that when i fit my dom richen both needles by about a quater of a turn to start with and tune from there.I have seen afew people end up at around factory settings again once tuned but of course weather and fuel mixture can make a difference to where the settings end up.Hope that helps.

:good: so glad its all working out well for ya

an that your really enjoying the model

its seems some things arent to good to be true

as this is a great copy for the right money

enjoy it mate

??? martin whats HBF ?????

• 4 weeks later...
Hi mate,good to here your in love again :lol: you'll just have to tweak the mixture as and when needed but takes these engines a fair bit longer to bed in than nitro,you can feel in the performance when it starts to loosen up properly and just adjust it then.

I've got a question about breakin' in a 2-stroke engine. It was my belief they didn't have to be run in at all actually?? :unsure:

I have five 2-stroke garden machines, never broke them in and they all perform fine.

A baja 5B engine is in fact nothing more than a chainsaw or leaf blower engine isn't it?

Got a new Stihl 2 months ago, used it full throttle for 3 days right from the start and it's perfect! :)

soft run in was common in the old days,newer machining proscess's and metal quality has all but eliminated the need for any running in,the main thing is to make sure the piston rings seat properly right away so you get max power,pootling around wont do you much good as you will get more blowby on the rings

allso garden strimmers and alike dont rev has high as the car engines because they use all the low end power rather than reving the nutts out em thats why they dont need running in

Are you kidding? :rolleyes:

Never heard a chainsaw or brushcutter rev like mad??

You're talking bout 4-stroke lawnmowers and stuff, that's correct, the don't rev high, as they don't need to and weren't built on that purpose.

Edited by Joe Tosh

I've got a question about breakin' in a 2-stroke engine. It was my belief they didn't have to be run in at all actually?? :unsure:

I have five 2-stroke garden machines, never broke them in and they all perform fine.

A baja 5B engine is in fact nothing more than a chainsaw or leaf blower engine isn't it?

Got a new Stihl 2 months ago, used it full throttle for 3 days right from the start and it's perfect! :)

These Engines don't need to be run in, it's just good practice with a view to longevity......

Most people avoid using WOT for more than a few seconds on the first run and that works very well.