• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Starting K4.6

Sin

Just trying to start my savage, and you can hear the engine trying to start but i don't know whether its becuase its too rich or becuase my drill is too slow at turning it over. Heres a video so you get what it sounds like:

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/9800...t=MOV001081.flv

hope someone can help, i had to change the needle settings becuase there was fuel pouring out the exhaust when i was trying to start it, so it must have been too rich.

Just so you know, the glow plug is fine and the engine has been run before but it was about 3-4 months ago....

Thanks

Edited by Sin

It sounds lke your one way bearing is only grabbing ever so often so it might need cleaning, on the other hand a drill is only good on things like my havoc which is a direct drive onto my one way making it spin fast, using a drill on a hpi rota start system slows the speed down due to gearing for the high speed low torgue rota starter that is required, clean your bearing and it might go with the drill but on my evo the drill don't work only my rota start.

Hope this helps you.

marty :)

Just trying to start my savage, and you can hear the engine trying to start but i don't know whether its becuase its too rich or becuase my drill is too slow at turning it over. Heres a video so you get what it sounds like:

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/9800...t=MOV001081.flv

hope someone can help, i had to change the needle settings becuase there was fuel pouring out the exhaust when i was trying to start it, so it must have been too rich.

Just so you know, the glow plug is fine and the engine has been run before but it was about 3-4 months ago....

Thanks

Hi mate,mine sounded like that when I did'nt have enough throttle trimmed to hold a start and I just opened the throttle a touch on the trim... :) Yeah could be one way bearing slipping,when mine went in one of my .26 engines it just went to free spinning...Nice one Martin :good:

Edited by Mr Terminator

Dont use a drill, they are way too slow to start them engines unless you use something like a Makita or DeWalt drill, it will try to start all day but without a rotostart it wont.

Battery drills have an higher RPM rate than a rotostart and more torque,well my 12v Bosch does by far.I use drill cause sometimes my rotostart's not got the poke to turn my NX .46 engie even with a 8.4v battery in it that's fairly new,the drill,no problem... :good:

yeah i was looking at the faster drills, mine only spins at 700rpm. Some of the dewalt drills spin at 1,400rpm which would probably be fast enough ?

I would rather buy a cheap, faster drill than buy a roto start becuase you have to buy a stick pack and a charger aswell as the roto start.

The throttle was on full when i was trying to start it, but I've tried moving it to no success. The one way bearing was quiet rough on the surface so maybe if i oil it up it might help ?? I have used this drill to start it before but it was on the owb and not in the roto start so there was no gearing involved.

yeah i was looking at the faster drills, mine only spins at 700rpm. Some of the dewalt drills spin at 1,400rpm which would probably be fast enough ?

I would rather buy a cheap, faster drill than buy a roto start becuase you have to buy a stick pack and a charger aswell as the roto start.

The throttle was on full when i was trying to start it, but I've tried moving it to no success. The one way bearing was quiet rough on the surface so maybe if i oil it up it might help ?? I have used this drill to start it before but it was on the owb and not in the roto start so there was no gearing involved.

Yeah that's why,mine's a 1600rpm Bosch Blue Power prp series and 2 speed.Would'nt use a DeWalt for a hobby though,bit overkill. :lol: The only bad point about using pokey battery drills is sometimes they're the reason one way bearings fail putting too much stress on it.Very much only once in a while though.... :)

Edited by Mr Terminator

thanks, did it cost you much at all ??? (the drill)

Cost £269 but that was for 2.A hammer drill and drill/driver which is the one I use and 3 batteries,charger.Can you DIY Model place on ebay are selling 18v Black & Decker hammerdrill/driver in one jobby in case with 16 torque settings and they have a 1600rpm 2 speed gears and there about £55 delivered brand new... :good:

kk cheers, thats more what i was thinking a cheap one that would spin fast. Think i'll have to wait to buy one though !

Am just glad the engine is not broke, becuase i thought taking it on the beach may have ruined it ! Thanks for all the help guys :D

kk cheers, thats more what i was thinking a cheap one that would spin fast. Think i'll have to wait to buy one though !

Am just glad the engine is not broke, becuase i thought taking it on the beach may have ruined it ! Thanks for all the help guys :D

No probs dude.Check the one way bearing though for slipping... :good:

i know but roto starts too much money !! you have to get a stick pack, charger and roto start.

And pullstarts break too often !

Also when i tried to start before video, it sort of went but the drill started making a noise like it was too hard but then it stopped and the engine stopped. Does that mean the owb was stuck and it was trying to spin the drill the opposite way ?? I just don't really fancy taking engine out and having to mesh it again, its cold outside !!

Edited by Sin

i know but roto starts too much money !! you have to get a stick pack, charger and roto start.

And pullstarts break too often !

Also when i tried to start before video, it sort of went but the drill started making a noise like it was too hard but then it stopped and the engine stopped. Does that mean the owb was stuck and it was trying to spin the drill the opposite way ?? I just don't really fancy taking engine out and having to mesh it again, its cold outside !!

Rotostart - £33.24 at Modelsport clicky

People are talking of using Bosch & DaWalt drills here - which I would imagine cost a lot more that a rotostart!!

Also, as you allude to above, using a drill introduces other problems that just aren't there when using the "proper" tool. Like is it actually spinning the in the right direction.....

Get a rotostart fella - right tool for the job every time.

i know am spinning in the right direction cos it just slips in the other direction. I probably will end up getting one, it'll just be after christmas. I'm trying to save for a car aswell so am trying not to spend much money lol. Just annoying cos i really wanna go out with (nitro) car, i miss the fun of it :(

well just went out again, and i held the back of the car up (this helped for some reason) and tried starting it and it fired up but as soon as it did the drill made the noise it makes when the tension gets too hard and the engine would just start turning over again.

Is this becuase it gets hard before the engine starts ? or becuase the owb is sticking and trying to force the drill the other way round ??

Also there is alot of fuel coming out of the exhaust ??

A roto start spins ALOT faster than any drill Ive used, Bosch, B&D, McKeller you name it ive tried it and none spin as fast a roto start, I couldnt start my K4.6 with a drill it tried but the drill just didnt have the speed.

Agreed mate like i said n my first post, rota start motors are basically like an rc car electric motor and spin at thousands of rpm but no torque so they reguire gearing down to be able to turn the engine over thats why there are 3 gears in the casing of the engine to do that job.

Mr terminator can start his with a drill but it is a high rpm one, so he's lucky :good:

marty :)