• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lipo Chargers, single, dual, quad? ToolkitRC Q4AC, HOTA F6, or something else?

Hi All

I need more chargers! 

So i currently have an old SkyRC mains charger and two ToolkitRC M8 chargers.

i currently have the following batteries:

4x 2S 1500mA packs

1x 3S 1300mA pack (i dont use this much)

2x 4S 4500mA packs

and will eventually get two 2S shorty packs.

i like to charge at 1C, so at the moment, it takes a while. These are obviously for different cars, and i dont typically take all the cars out at once, but it would be nice to have that option, so i'd quite like to be able to charge all of them simultaneously.

For the four 2s 1500mA packs, i dont need much power. 8.4V at 1500mA is only about 13W max, so i first thought about the Toolkit M4 (£30 ish), and get four of them. The charge currents are either 1A, 2A, 3A or 5A, so not really ideal, but i could work with that.

Then i saw the toolkitRC Q4AC (£65-£80)

image.png.4bbd6aca86bf4a7ad58135884fade030.png

4 channels, can be powered from the mains (the power limit wouldn't be a factor in this case), which would leave my DC PSUs available for other chargers. You save money by only having one display and one scroll wheel.  Unless your at the cutting edge of electronics, the housing, connectors, switches display etc, are by far the biggest costs of a product. The electronics are less than peanuts. 

But its an "all eggs, one basket" approach, and ive read a few iffy comments about it on reliability. On that same reddit page (i think it was) there was a few recommendations for HOTA chargers. Ive not heard about them before, but they have the F6 (£120 ish, limited uk suppliers by the look of it):

image.png.2be1e06cf2c57754a566466933b522fc.png

Same sort of thing, but more expensive. This one is DC only, but there is the F6+ that has PSU built in. More power and 6S, which i dont really need. Ive read a few comments about these failing too. channels going dead etc, same as the Q4AC above.

So i could do the 2s1500mA batteries on here, the 4S batteries on the two ToolkitRC M8s and get another dual charger for the two shorties down the line.

But maybe i'd be better off with a bunch of single or dual chargers instead? 

Ive been reasonably happy with the ToolkitRC M8s that ive got, the old mains skyRC charger can be used on transmitter batteries, its ideal for that. I can do that in the house in front of the TV, i use NIMH batteries in the transmitters.

Any thoughts in general or experience with either of these two? Or toolkitRC & HOTA in general?

Cheers

Edited by champ222

• champ222 changed the title to Lipo Chargers, single, dual, quad? ToolkitRC Q4AC, HOTA F6, or something else?

What about this ?

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/313691/

I dont know how much above chargers cost but this 1 is 100W per channel (4 channels)

Might be a bit overkill just now but as your car and battery collections grow it could save you buying more chargers 

I have a 4 channel charger id sell, its only been used as a back up but never needed it.

that has 4 screens , one for each port.

My lad has one of the smaller toolbox rc chargers, great for small lipos and dead easy to use, thats been going strong for a good while now with no issues.

if you want a pic of the charger, let me know and i can pm one over :good:

On 26/03/2024 at 10:51, Gaz! said:

I have a 4 channel charger id sell, its only been used as a back up but never needed it.

My lad has one of the smaller toolbox rc chargers, great for small lipos and dead easy to use, thats been going strong for a good while now with no issues.

Yeah id be interested in seeing that, thanks. 

Make and model would probably be handy too if possible.

Cheers

On 26/03/2024 at 10:51, Gaz! said:

Hi Gaz

Any info on that charger?

Thanks