• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HBX/FTX Tracer

xxCarlxx

Hi all

I really want one of these but the standard 20+ mph speed just doesnt do anything for me. 

I have heard about the surpass motor combo but im not sure about exactly which one i need. 

Can someone link me the one i will need for this car, i guess i will need a receiver too, are there any that allow you to turn the speed down like the standard version? 

Lastly, when i change the receiver, is it possible to keep the controller or am i going to need another controller too? (tbh im learning towards getting a stick controller, bring back memories of how things used to be)

Thanks guys

I'd look at the mjx hyper go instead, they are 2/3s brushless machines out of the box separate reciever and esc(look at tomley RC on YouTube he's done a bash off with them both) the radios if you change to sticks you wont be able to select power level, I was looking at the 4500kv set up for my partners from now from experience you can have too much power as they are light weight and they don't have many tuning options like the bigger ones, also they are small so easier to loose track of

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fred barlow said:

I'd look at the mjx hyper go instead, they are 2/3s brushless machines out of the box separate reciever and esc(look at tomley RC on YouTube he's done a bash off with them both) the radios if you change to sticks you wont be able to select power level, I was looking at the 4500kv set up for my partners from now from experience you can have too much power as they are light weight and they don't have many tuning options like the bigger ones, also they are small so easier to loose track of

Thanks for that, i was going to get the HBX version, i just say tracer because i cant remember the HBX numbers, but HBX has all metal parts BUT as you say, seperate ESC and reciever makes all the difference in the hyper go,. 

I want to go big power so even with the Hyper go, id change the motor to a 4600kv surpass, i think ill keep the trigger radio, i grew up with stick so im still used to it but no point getting used to stick on one car then having to switch to the trigger version on my other cars. 

But what is important is being able to turn down the power so i can have it turned down for the garden, and up for larger spaces. 

Ill see which car is larger, i may even eye up a larger car and change the motor