• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Can a 20T 540 brushed motor run 3S?

Hi, I am just about to fit a 3S capable brushed ESC to my 1/10th car to replace the old 2 in 1 esc/reciever. I run a dynamite 20T 540 brushed motor on 2S lipo normally and it runs fine and never gets warm. Just wondering if the 20T motor would cope with 11.1V 3S? 

All the specs I can find for that motor say 2S.

I mean...you CAN run it on 3S. How long it lasts I wouldn;t like to say. Going to get hot, and as it's running on bushes not bearings too...it's going to struggle I would say. Dropping the gearing a bit might help...but to be honest....sticking with 2S makes more sense. When the motor dies....then look at a brushless replacement that can handle 3S if you want to go that way. Consider also the extra stress on the driveline.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bushings are fine up to a point, but they get put on basic motors in place of bearings for cheapness. Upping the volts will increase rpm, and that's going to potentially give issues.

A better esc is still desirable. Just because you are not using it to the max shouldn't be a worry. I have a couple of trucks with 6s capable esc that I run on 4s. Easy to slap a bigger pack in, change gearing and go crazy....but reliability will always suffer.

• Like 1