• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobao Hyper MT Sport Plus

22 minutes ago, Kyosho superten sports 2wd said:

Yeah pin snapped on both. Figured the first one was caused by a crash but not 100% convinced now that a second one has gone. Wheels are huge so I can understand the strain these joints go through when landing. Luckily they come in packs of two so I had it fixed in a few minutes but at around £30 a pair I don't want to be changing them weekly.

Love the truck just a bit concerned now especially after a bit research that shows others have similar issues.

Looks like the MT2 and MTX have similar setup just 1mm longer. Visually look the same. If there was a design flaw I'd expect these models to have a noticeable difference.

Anyhow 4S and no jump for the next few weeks 😂

To be honest I find 6s trucks to be far nicer to drive and more entertaining on 4s. You do miss the crazy wheelspeed, flips and air that comes with irresponsible amounts of power but driving becomes a lot less stressful and damage is somewhat reduced. 😂 

I'm going to do a bit of research and see if there's a way of getting another set of shafts in there. Most likely they are reused from the Hyper buggy series and aren't suited to the larger wheels of the MT as you mentioned. A rare miss from Hobao! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Kyosho superten sports 2wd said:

Tried to press the first one out in my vice using a spare Tamiya wheel hex pin to push with a nut behind. The ball (cube) fractured once I applied pressure. I'll be trying again with this one.

Ah right, i've seen references to people replacing the broken pins with high tensile screws and getting better results. Maybe try applying some heat to squeeze them out without cracking the ball. Shouldn't have to do it, but it wouldn't be a hobby if we didn't have to fix manufacturers mistakes. XD

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lilredmachine said:

Just to add to this, it would appear tha Hobao have reacted to this problem and produced different shafts. Do you have a way of measuring the shaft diameter (in the middle)? it needs to be down to the mm ideally.

My engineers eye says 5mm. I'll stick a caliper on it tomorrow.

We had a similar problem with our 1/10 scale hobao crawlers breaking that pin and we found we had to knock back the steering endpoints a bit which cured it 

It seems to tight a steering angle was stressing the pin 

• Thanks 1

If there's a slipper clutch in there, get it dialed in and it'll take the strain off of the weak points. Dialed correctly and it'll still pull wheelies, but slip when needed. 

• Thanks 1

Only information I've found relating to this is that several people solved it by swapping to MT2 shafts, they are a different lengths but accounted for it by swapping the arms to MT2 arms which bolt straight on and use the same hubs. This appears to be a materials issue rather than a design problem, which is a bit disappointing from Hobao. The MT2 shafts are essentially the same design, but produced far earlier than the MT sport shafts and apparently with better metallurgy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

We had a similar problem with our 1/10 scale hobao crawlers breaking that pin and we found we had to knock back the steering endpoints a bit which cured it 

It seems to tight a steering angle was stressing the pin 

First to go was a front so I'll check that out but the latest was rear

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tug said:

If there's a slipper clutch in there, get it dialed in and it'll take the strain off of the weak points. Dialed correctly and it'll still pull wheelies, but slip when needed. 

Good point, it does in fact have a slipper. I've not touched it yet. Thanks for the advice 

42 minutes ago, Lilredmachine said:

Only information I've found relating to this is that several people solved it by swapping to MT2 shafts, they are a different lengths but accounted for it by swapping the arms to MT2 arms which bolt straight on and use the same hubs. This appears to be a materials issue rather than a design problem, which is a bit disappointing from Hobao. The MT2 shafts are essentially the same design, but produced far earlier than the MT sport shafts and apparently with better metallurgy.

Sounds like a plan for future breakages. Thanks for spending the time to help me out 🙏

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...