• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Getting back into it

After a 6 year leave of absence I've found and dusted off my electric 5B again. It got put away after it's last run when the Toro Beast ESC popped and one of my old Thunder Power packs was no longer recognised by the charger.

Fast forward to today and I've got a Max5 Gen2 and some new 4S lipos to put back in it. I'm looking forward to running it again and I think my son is going to love it too 🙂 It's still got a Toro Beast 780kv motor in it

I had to remind myself of some of the mods I'd done to it because it's been so long I'd completely forgotten..

I'd like to make sure the gearing is right - can anyone sanity-check it for me?  I'm running 8s power, on grass with Hostile MX tyres. Not so interested in outright speed but I'd like wheelies on demand . I've got a 57T spur fitted at the moment. It looks as though I was running an 18T pinion originally and have a 15T in the spares box. Do either of those sound like they'd give what I'm after with that spur gear, or should I be looking at something different?

Thanks for your help!

Darren

Sounds OK, but wheelies can be hard to come by, at least in my experience. My Baja has the long wheelbase, so likes to keep its nose down. 

• Like 1

Thanks Tug, much appreciated 👍

I'm just stripping it down at the moment to clean it up and make sure everything's done up properly.

On a related note. I used to run the Toro Beast 780kv as I mentioned. I've also got a 780kv Leopard motor doing nothing which I could fit while I've go it apart. Looking at the specs, I don't *think* they're both pretty close. Would you opt for one over the other? Dunno how the windings impact them if the Leopard really is a 2.5Y. The internal resistance and current handling seem better on the Toro, although I suppose that means it could put more strain on the ESC sometimes. The Leopard is a fair bit lighter.

Leopard LBP5892/V-2.5Y

• Winding: 2.5 Wye (I think?)
  • Internal resistance: 0.0088 ohm
  • Max Current 120A
  • Max power 6000W
  • Weight: 1020g

Toro Beast X528 2Y

• Winding: 2 Wye
  • internal resistance: 0.0061 ohm
  • Max current: 193A
  • Max power: 7350W
  • Weight 1581g

All my large motors are 113mm in length, not got experience with the shorter motors. 

However, going by the numbers, the Toro should be the more powerful, but at a cost. It will probably draw more current and therefore generate more heat. The ESC will also be working harder. 

Can you not try both with the same gearing and record your findings? It'd make for interesting reading. 

The ESC you've chosen, is that the 12S version? (I'd be cautious running either of those motors beyond 8S)

• Like 1

Also worth noting..On a Baja, you MUST change the spur AND pinion together unless your motor mount has provision for adjustment.

I had a normal length Baja and made a very short shortie. That wheelies just fine. All the time.

Long WB Baja spins it's wheels before it wheelies in most conditions.

• Like 1

Good points - thanks both 👍

My motor mount does have some adjustability so I think I'll be okay but will definitely check. I have changed out my 57t steel spur gear back to a stock 57t nylon one initially. It was pretty noisy and I'l like a little bit of give in the system. I'll see how I get on with that and perhaps try a few different pinions based on how it's driving.

The Max5 is a Gen2. I'm definitely keeping 8s as my battery limit though. I was wondering about trying some LiHV packs - my charger supports them after I upgraded the firmware and there seemed some pretty decent options on AliExpress. In the end I've decided to go with regular LiPos for convenience.

Comparing both motors is a great idea - I'll do that and share the findings. I think the Max5 Gen2 has a logger? l can also get a GPS speed reading and use an IR heat gun on the components.

Edited by darrenelmslie

I think dropping the metal spur is wise. It's a cheap part and easy to replace. I always try and keep a sacrificial part. In the event if overstressed incidents, it does control how and where failures happen. But to be honest, with petrol motors, the only plastic spur I ever replaced was due to a stone getting in. The plastic cover lost a clip and I was just unlucky. Brushless puts a higher load on, as it's more immediate than a clutch take up. 

Sounds like you are having fun dialling this thing in!

• Like 1