• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

LIPO charger

wolfie1

I recently bought a not very expensive lipo charger and it works ok, but when charging 10000mah batteries it doesnt fully charge them, does anyone have a recommendation on a charger that will charge 2 batteries at the same time and both at 10a, i have looked on wheelspin and modelsport website and its not clear which ones do this? Thanks in advance

it looks like it will charge up to 100w per channel 

what voltage of batteries are wanting to charge ?

a simple way to find out is divide the wattage by the volts ie 100 divided by say 11.1 (3s) = 9.09A

it should charge a 2s at 12A tho

59 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

it looks like it will charge up to 100w per channel 

what voltage of batteries are wanting to charge ?

a simple way to find out is divide the wattage by the volts ie 100 divided by say 11.1 (3s) = 9.09A

it should charge a 2s at 12A tho

Its 4s im wanting to charge, will this charge 2 4s 10000 mah batteries at 10a, this is my first adventure into 4s so any advice is very much appreciated 🙂

would this be a good charger for what i am wanting to do?

Edited by wolfie1

1 minute ago, Vr5fx said:

Is there a time cutout on the charger? could be hitting the limit on a 10,000mAh pack.

No its a limit cutout thats coming up on the screen, it did it on the 8400 packs too

Edited by wolfie1

2 minutes ago, Vr5fx said:

If it isn't the timer limit, it's the capacity limit. Stock is set to 5,000mAh if I'm looking at the right manual, needs changing up to a higher limit

The charger i bought that im having no luck with is a HTRC  C240 DUO i am setting it to 10a when im starting a charge for the 10000 packs

Edited by wolfie1

2 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

The charger i bought that im having no luck with is a HTRC  C240 DUO

Ooo, my bad, I misread above, sorry.

If it's finishing off 0.04v short, thats alright. I have 2 identical chargers, and one of them likes to do this, finishes off slightly short of 4.20

11 minutes ago, Vr5fx said:

If it isn't the timer limit, it's the capacity limit. Stock is set to 5,000mAh if I'm looking at the right manual, needs changing up to a higher limit

Now i think you are onto something there, i just went out and had a look through the settings and it was set to a charge limit of 8000mah, so that would explain a lot, thats reassuring but if im charging a 8400 battery would i need to go in each time and  make sure its set to that and set to 10000 for my other batteries?

3 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

4.2v per cell is fully charged is it not ?

Yes but only after putting it on a second time, initially it was only charging the 10000 to around 3.9v a cell, when i put it on again it was taking around 3500 mah more

Edited by wolfie1

I used to have to do that when charging a 7200mah battery on my twin port charger 

i used to just listen out for the over time alarm and put it on a 2nd time but i never changed the charge limits tho 

so sounds to me the charger is working ok

Edited by Stormbringer

2 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

I used to have to do that when charging a 7200mah battery on my twin port charger 

i used to just listen out for the over time alarm and put it on a 2nd time but i never changed the charge limits tho 

I will try out my “solution” tomorrow when i go out and flatten the batteries again, all in the name of science of course, fingers crossed. Thanks for the help  from yourself and vr5fx

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

Now i think you are onto something there, i just went out and had a look through the settings and it was set to a charge limit of 8000mah, so that would explain a lot, thats reassuring but if im charging a 8400 battery would i need to go in each time and  make sure its set to that and set to 10000 for my other batteries?

Set it to it's maximum and see if it changes anything. LiPo chargers know when to stop, this setting is more of a "safety" setting. You can have it set to maximum and still charge any battery capacity normally.

If you had a faulty battery that was leaking voltage, that setting is there so it doesn't just keep charging and possibly cause an unwanted situation, just as an example.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Vr5fx said:

Set it to it's maximum and see if it changes anything. LiPo chargers know when to stop, this setting is more of a "safety" setting. You can have it set to maximum and still charge any battery capacity normally.

If you had a faulty battery that was leaking voltage, that setting is there so it doesn't just keep charging and possibly cause an unwanted situation, just as an example.

Thank you so much, you guys have hopefully saved me the cost of a new charger 🙂

• Haha 1