• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

m4inbrain's slightly less reasonably priced Reve D RDX

m4inbrain

3 hours ago, wolfie1 said:

well if thats your thinking a black FD RX7 with gold Enkei RPF1 wheels would look amazing 😜 but then again im a wee bit biased, i can certainly give you some inspiration for this project 

Still have to finish a purple PS13 Silvia with Origin Labo bodykit, all cut out but not masked/painted yet lol. Gotta figure out what kind of wheels i'd like with that, too. 

If i'd ever build an FD3S, it'd be yellow with SSR Type C wheels in bronze. 😉 

.. yeah, stupid show. -.-

7 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Still have to finish a purple PS13 Silvia with Origin Labo bodykit, all cut out but not masked/painted yet lol. Gotta figure out what kind of wheels i'd like with that, too. 

If i'd ever build an FD3S, it'd be yellow with SSR Type C wheels in bronze. 😉 

.. yeah, stupid show. -.-

Tempted yet?

IMG_1393.jpeg

IMG_1405.jpeg

IMG_1395.jpeg

IMG_1411.jpeg

• Like 3

Yeah, i wonder where that bias is coming from 😄

Looks cool, but generally, i'm not that into black cars - the black 2000gt was an exception since the shop didn't have the white one in stock and i wanted to save on shipping. 

dlTaDNq.png

I personally prefer this one. 

Though all said and done, the next shell is going to be a JZX100. No idea which colour yet (though everyone loves a white Chaser), or which wheels - or even whether or not i'll go for a body kit or not. But it's going to be a Chaser. Wanted to originally build one when i purchased the PS13, but i could not find a single decent shell (Pandora or Overdose) in stock. 

That, or this:

FyCjA86.png

Drift wagons are just plain cool, wanted that shell already for the RMX but was out of stock at the time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

I like that mate its the wee touches like that that make all the diferance :good:

They do, sadly i don't have any 3mm LEDs left (thousands of 5mm though -.-) - so had to order some in, stalled until then again, harumph.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

I tend to order the prewired multicolour 6-12v leds in pack of 50 or 100 from Amazon 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08L1WT6XF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would require me to faff about with tiny JST connectors and pinning/crimping, cheers for the suggestion but for cases like this, i just order a pre-done set of LEDs that fit the light controller. 👍

• Like 1

19 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Yeah, i wonder where that bias is coming from 😄

Looks cool, but generally, i'm not that into black cars - the black 2000gt was an exception since the shop didn't have the white one in stock and i wanted to save on shipping. 

dlTaDNq.png

I personally prefer this one. 

Though all said and done, the next shell is going to be a JZX100. No idea which colour yet (though everyone loves a white Chaser), or which wheels - or even whether or not i'll go for a body kit or not. But it's going to be a Chaser. Wanted to originally build one when i purchased the PS13, but i could not find a single decent shell (Pandora or Overdose) in stock. 

That, or this:

FyCjA86.png

Drift wagons are just plain cool, wanted that shell already for the RMX but was out of stock at the time. 

I know exactly what your saying about black cars look amazing when clean but just dont stay that way, my daily driver car is grey, i can wash both my cars black 1 doesnt turn a wheel i have been away out in the grey 1 and it still looks cleaner the next day

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So, long time no update, time for a small one i suppose since today i've fitted the first of a few less reasonably priced upgrades.

Electronic wise, still the same, albeit i am now running turbo and boost settings (still don't really grasp them, had a clubmember "tune" it for me). 

So, today we fitted two things: a new bodyshell, because i finally got around to buying and finishing my KE70 station wagon that i was after for literal years. Looks like this. The colour is called "CHOGLOT" by me, it is in fact TS-1 (yes, TS, not PS). It turns out that it's completely fine to spray a lexan shell in TS paint, if you seal it first with a coat of pearl. Which was done. The silver trim is painted on the outside (cut the overspray film, then sprayed), which was a meh idea in hindsight - but i do like the effect it gives now that i handled the shell a bit, looks worn. Same on the bumpers (both are chrome too). 

Jijq127.png

nJJwLjj.png

Ride height isn't set yet, it'll come down a good bit but the reason for not doing that is the second upgrade. This particular one isn't fitted yet, because it's somewhere between RCMart warehouse and, well, here. But it's a beaut:

fzkZEmy.png

XK8EpF7.jpg

These are Overdose (in case you didn't notice) High Grade Shock Spec 3, or HG3 for short. These puppies set me back over £200, and they don't even come with springs nor oil or o-ring grease. That was extra. With that i've ordered a set of Reve D R-Tune springs (soft) for both front and rear, as well as the accompanying oil and grease. One interesting tidbit is that these run mineral oil out of the box, Apparently quite a few guys made the mistake of running silicone in them, making a right old mess. So with these and the springs i've also ordered Overdose #10 mineral oil (around 5-10wt) as well as 1up o-ring grease. At that price, i've got to build them right. 

So, these are on the way, should be another week or two.

What did arrive was this. 

jO0CI2E.png

This is a Rhino Racing C-LSD, or "centrifugal limited slip diff". Looks like any old spool, but that look changes vastly once you open it up - inside, it looks like this.

kqZS8Um.png

There's springs in the outer black caps that these pinions/shafts slot into, and basically what it does is magic. It's an open diff, until you punch the throttle, then it locks, and it unlocks once you let go of the throttle (centrifugal). It's highly tuneable, with a variation of pinions (either 4 or 8 ) and springs (soft or hard) you can set how much throttle you need for it to lock, as well as how fast it locks (whether it locks up slowly or rapidly). It's the most complicated diff i've ever seen, haven't run it yet - it does seem to work though from benchtesting it. More expensive than an X-Maxx diff, too. 

That's a recurring theme, anything drift related that isn't a bog standard plastic part is abhorrently expensive. These are the upgrades purchased so far, and i'm talking to a person in Canada for a different chassis plate. Looks like this.

WqRIZz3.png

Basically, the carbon fibre-y bits there. Ain't much, but still is going to set me back another £200 by the looks. But that's for future me to worry about - now i'm just waiting for sunday to give that new diff a shakedown.

So much for now, thanks for reading. 

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Thats a hell of a dif mate and looks awesome :good:

Cheers, yeah most complicated ("busy") diff i've ever laid eyes upon, that's for sure. Was a pain in the neck to build, those springs (they're like small V shaped ones) are sharp as heck and the tolerances are tight, so pressing them in ruined my thumbs for the next two days as well lol. 

I do like this mechanical stuff though, as opposed to the electronic shipfuttery that i have severe issues with. I understand how this diff works, and i understand how to tune it. As opposed to the entire boost and turbo and whatnot programming on ESCs. Same with the new shocks, even bought a rebound setup station for them, so they'll be properly dialled in once i've built them. 

Forgot to mention, i do not run carpet anymore, i am now a regular at an actual drift track running concrete - much different to what was going on at the carpet track. That was more evening bashing, with other 4wd rigs on the track etc. This is where i'm going now:

rpuwYR3.png

(i did run black wheels for a while due to requirement of different tyres for concrete)

I think this is where the upgrade idea comes from in the first place - monkey see, monkey do. Or rather, monkey needs to spend way too much money for stuff he really doesn't need just yet. Most of these rigs aren't stock anymore, and well.. i wanted shiny bits too. The track is 45 miles away, so each sunday it's an hours drive there and another hour back, but well.. Got nothing else to do on sundays really. Also get fed:

iUKvQ4n.png

Freshly prepared at the track by lovely Michelle, the trackmum. 

ZTsRiXf.png

Did deep dive though, highly likely i'll sell up my bashers and stick to drifting and keeping the Capra around for the occasional crawling. Just suits me best. In fact.. here's my christmas gift from my mother in law lol.

ODSKrgp.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 08/02/2024 at 21:06, Shergar said:

The Corolla wagon shell is SPOT ON PERFECT 😎

Cheers mate, yeah it is, love it. 

Though i am running something else now, need to create a new thread for that.... 😉 😄