• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Vintage Tamiya Holiday Buggy - Restoration Project

BlackSeaRC

Around 4 decades ago, I acquired my very first RC car - a second hand Tamiya Holiday Buggy.  In the early 1980's, it was the entry-level 2WD off-road buggy.  The Rough Rider and Sand Scorcher "Special Racing Buggies" were too expensive (almost double the price), so I had the choice of a Holiday Buggy or Sand Rover.  I had a look at a few for sale and eventually chose a Holiday Buggy.

My Holiday Buggy came built by the previous owner with Asahi Acoms radio equipment, quick and slow chargers and a 6V Ni-Cd battery.  The Holiday Buggy inspired my enthusiasm for RC vehicles that has lasted a lifetime.

In the late 1980's, I decided to repaint the buggy in a white/orange/yellow colour scheme.  I drove it for many hundreds, if not thousands, of hours and it never broke down.  Gradually my RC collection grew and the Holiday Buggy got put in the loft.

Recently, I decided that it would be nice to restore my original RC car to box art colours.  I got it down from the loft with a thick layer of dust and found the original 40 year old batteries.  Would it still run?  Well take a look at the video below and find out.  This is the start of the restoration project and a detailed overview of the buggy, including interesting details about its history:

BlackSeaRC

DSC02919a.JPG

DSC02927a.JPG

Ancillary equipment.jpg

• Like 3

Woohoo a real blast from the past mate 

Really cool resto and its looking smart  :good:

That acoms set was the 1st rc equipment i bought in about 1980 mrs got me it for Christmas :cheers:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Woohoo a real blast from the past mate 

Really cool resto and its looking smart  :good:

That acoms set was the 1st rc equipment i bought in about 1980 mrs got me it for Christmas :cheers:

Yes, stick type transmitters were the way to go in the 1980's.  I have Acoms equipment starting in the early 1980's and going all the way through to the latest Techniplus version.  I reckon the oldest one was the best built and felt much better quality than the newer versions with a cheap plastic look and feel to them.  Amazing really that everything still works.  The chargers were also Acoms but actually marked "Made in UK".  You don't see that much any more!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, bertberr said:

Very cool!  I'll take a looksy at that vid later.  Always loved the look of the Holiday Buggy, particularly the original one.

I also included some interesting details about the real vehicle the Holiday Buggy is inspired by.  It was called the Corsair Stripper and was designed in Southern California in the 1970's.  Not a licensed design but clearly based on it.

• Like 1