• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FeiYue FY-03H Off-Road Buggy - Too fast for its own good or am I just a bad driver?

BlackSeaRC

It is about time that the FeiYue FY-03H Desert Eagle got another run.  A few years ago, the FeiYue FY-03 series and the WL Toys 12427 / 12428 buggies started a trend by offering gradually greater and greater speed in a cheap RTR 1:12 scale off-road buggy platform.  Initially, the FY-03 started out with a brushed motor and was suited to trail running and general off-roading.  Then the FY-03H got a brushless motor and was sold as a bit of a speed machine (even though the chassis still used basic suspension that didn't even include oil-damped shock absorbers).  Recently, this trend has continued with products such as the latest Rlaarlo 1:12 scale buggies and cars.  For some reason people demand ever faster machines just for the sake of a high maximum speed number.  In reality, this often makes these buggies very hard to control when the going gets rough.  In my opinion, this high speed is rather unnecessary and you can have just as much fun at a speed where you can at least test your driving skills without crashing every few minutes.  Anyway, I present a short video of the FY-03H in action so you can see for yourself whether this buggy is just too fast (or whether I am simply a bad driver):

BlackSeaRC

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Shergar said:

It looks like you have speeded the video up 😳  Its a fair looker though 👍

Actually it is slowed down to 0.8 of the real speed!  The manufacturer makes some rather exaggerated claims about the top speed (70kph for this brushless version) but I reckon that straight from the box it is closer to half that.  It feels fast when you are in a small space though.

• Confused 1