• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Need help with ISP and router

Grogg

To get straight to the point, at the start of April I switched my ISP from Sky to Now Broadband due to Sky's price increases, surprisingly Now was able to offer me the exact same package that I had with Sky for roughly 25% less, despite the fact that Now Broadband is a subsidiary of Sky.  Today I received an email from Now telling me that next month they plan to increase my bill by 25%, no chance I told them, they'd have to pry that extra 25% out of my cold dead Scottish hands.  So I've now signed up to a new ISP, which believe it or not is going to provide me with a ISP package much much superior to what I was getting from Now Broadband for less, and quite a bit less I might add than Now Broadband was charging me before their 25% price increase, which comes into effect next month.  The issue with the new provider is that I have to either rent a router from them, which would add a fiver a month to the cost, or supply my own router.  The customer service agent from my new ISP strongly suggested that I supply my own router - he obviously had to do this subtly as he's not just trying to sell internet packages but also rent out their routers so he couldn't really give me a specific make and model he'd recommend.  As somebody who has never bought a router in the UK, all my previous routers have been supplied by my ISP at the time, I'm a bit out of my depth here, and could really use a bit if not a lot of help.

I've been told I need to get a SoGEA compatible router, that has a DSL connection, though ADSL and VDSL will also work, or so I've been lead to believe, and that one is better than the other - can't remember if it's ADSL or VDSL that is the better and faster one.  Can anybody recommend a router for me, preferably one that doesn't cost the best part of a grand, nor the cheapest piece of junk available, but something decent that will last a few years.  I don't really have a budget in mind, other than I'd really like to keep it closer to £1-£200 quid rather than close to a grand

Edited by Grogg

What about the TP-LINK AC1200 Wireless VDSL/ADSL Modem Router?  It seems to be quite cheap at roughly £60 delivered.  Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I've not long graduated from using smoke signals - I swear this is so much easier to do in Asia where you're ISP does not provide you with a router/modem and you have to supply your own.

Edit to add:

Or the TP-Link Archer VR2800 VDSL/ADSL2+ WiFi 5 Broadband Router, which is a little over double the price of the TP-LINK AC1200 Wireless VDSL/ADSL Modem Router?

Edited by Grogg

31 minutes ago, Shergar said:

I have a Draytek Vigor, no problems but its not a bargain either.

Any specific model that you would recommend, I've had a wee read on the specs of the 2866ax, the 2865ax, and what I assume to be their flagship model the Vigor-2927ax.  I'd rather spend more and get something that will not only exceeds my needs, but also be future proof, and last a good few years - say 5 or 6 years.  The Vigor 2927ax for example is a little over £100 more expensive than the TP-Link Archer VR2800 VDSL/ADSL2+ WiFi 5 Broadband Router - Laptops Direct are selling it for £293, would you say it's a much better router than the TPG one to be worth spending the extra £100 for?

I’ve been using the AC1200 for the last few years and it’s a good enough router for the money, I got it when they were new for about the same price through my work. Easy to setup, no hassle and worked fine. Way faster than a BT home hub or an EE home hub, but they are junk routers anyway. 

Draytek are generally quite good as well but haven’t used one so can’t compare.  I’ve also heard good thing about ASUS but again, no personal experience. 

Routers tend to be much like everything else, ya get what ya pay for.