• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XTM XT2 questions

So I'm quite attached to my XTM XT2, but it's old and obviously will need bearings and parts doing at some point. Its not been used much but has been stood for a long time and probably wants shocks and other various bits. My question really is, will I be able to get those parts? Can I use parts from other buggys? I'm unlikely to write it off as I don't race, and it gets used on a short grass open area so although it gets rolled occasionally from hitting bumps when sideways, it doesn't sustain damage. Is it feasible to keep it running or should I use it but look to retire it and replace it?

If push comes to shove, anything can be made to fit. Bearings are quite obviously available from all kinds of manufacturers, it's usually cheaper (and better) to go with dedicated bearing companies anyway rather than the ones sold by the RC manufacturer. Same for screws and bolts. 

There are "universal shocks", like for example the Yeah Racing Qutus "system". All you really need is the length/diameter of your current shock and get something that is reasonably close, and go from there. Body panels are a bit harder, probably not really going to happen without changing the looks a bit (different shell, different wing etc). 

Wing mounts (one of the likelier things to break when rolling in grass) are a bit more complicated, these aren't really universal - but if you have a 3d printer, it's pretty simple to just whip up a quick design and print it. There's also the potential to just plastic cement/epoxy it back together. It'll still work fine. 

Now, for the steering rack, potentially knuckles etc, they're usually somewhat unique to the design of the RC and can't be directly replaced with random other buggy parts without changing the geometry, for that one you'd need to ask in a dedicated XTM forum, they'll probably be more help there. Suspension arms i wouldn't know, but i can't imagine it being hard to find universal/other buggy replacements for that.

Generally though, you can certainly frankenstein a lot of parts on a buggy. Depending on how good a job you do, it could actually be considered "upgraded". 

That all said.. It's of course much easier to just get a rig that you can still get spares for. If you want to stick with the nitro truggy theme, immediately the Hobao Hyper 7 springs to mind - basically indestructible, and still parts available. Can be had reasonably cheap used too. 

Edited by m4inbrain