• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Associated MT8 owners thead.

Crazy L

Not expecting a great deal of people to be viewing or talking on here, but thought I'd post a segment up anyway.  Pics to follow as changed a few bits already, and I've not had it 24 hours yet. 

In the meantime though, let's see yours.

Upon watching Talbot n Tomley, I thought I'd mod straight from the get go.  1st up was a servo swap.  Had this Savox 1258 going spare, run them in plenty of cars and have alway been great.  Nrxt up, and all for now, is a full RPM arm set.  That should keep it rolling in one piece for a while.  I don't do skate parks anyway.

Lets see yours, unless you're embarrassed to admit you bought one.

20230401_145840.jpg

20230401_145826.jpg

• Like 1

Got my first proper outing out of the way once the weird esc problem disappeared.  2 sets of cells later and still in pne piece.

Had a few awkeard landings, no breakages.  So that's good.  Still have the single Deans connector fitted too, and it hasn't melted away.  Using 4s though, which I think is plenty for drivability.  6s is ok if you don't get bored of going up and down and back again on the rear wheels forever.  Just my view anyway.

Now I've got my 1st run out of the way, looking to getting some confidence in the truck, and havimg fun.

Back in the day, this scale quite often favoured 5S as the sweet spot. Although there are other ways of hobbling excess power, but that usually involves a motor swap. 

If this ESC doesn't support 5 cells, maybe change ESC down the line?

I don't own one, but still reading the thread. 

7 hours ago, Tug said:

Back in the day, this scale quite often favoured 5S as the sweet spot. Although there are other ways of hobbling excess power, but that usually involves a motor swap. 

If this ESC doesn't support 5 cells, maybe change ESC down the line?

Hi ya

It's 6s compatible out of the box, which would be wild.  I converted my MGT to 6s many years ago, and it was utterly bonkers, and undriveable, hence my view.  I've since done an LST2 BL conversion, and that is on 4s, and is quite enough.  Nice to see someone having a read.

This thread's blowing up.  Took the MT8 out for a bash the other day, bent a turnbuckle.  Heated it up, bent it back.  went out again on Saturday just gone.  awkward land from airtime.  The same turnbuckle sheared straight off.  Just ordered a pair of Lunsfords to experiment with.   So only real issue so far has been the esc issue which disappeared and hasn't come back, and this turnbuckle.

Given that the MT has such bad press, I cast my mind back to when I bought my MGT, in 2004.  Youtube didn't exist.  The MGT went through wishbones like a dose of salts, no one stopped buying them because of it.  And the turnbuckles on that where made of cheese too.  Tell me I'm wrong.  I'm not saying it's ok to have poor components, because Associated could have upped their game a bit on this truck considering their "Rivals" (pun intended) are the likes of  Arrma and Traxxas.  Just saying that even trucks that were built for the job, still needed a few bits to make them reliable. 

I keep wanting to get an Mt8, well actually it's American cousin the kaiju ext but with all the duty and shipping I can get 2 mt8s,

if you're wanting to make it 100% better look up rick and the kids hobby time on YouTube he's taken the kaiju and been fixing all the weak points throughout and it does stand up to the hammer

• Like 1

Thanks Fred Barlow, I may take a look at that.

Meanwhile, After bending a turnbuckle the other week, then heating it up and bending it back.  It actually broke.  I managed to get the broken bit out of the rod end.

Anyway, just added a 5mm diameter pair of Lunsfords finest.

20230412_210708.jpg

Sorry about the lens flare, I'm not trying to be JJ Abrams, just how the lighting turned out.

Edited by Crazy L

So much bad press on the MT8.  sure, it has its issues, but right now, I think there's no better time to buy one.  Might have to do a vid for my channel, give it a positive spin.  I don't do skate parks though, tried them about 20 years ago, not my cup of tea, just so you're aware, lol.

• 4 weeks later...

MT8 owners, "hellooooooooooooooo"  (hears echo, then sees a tumbleweed)

No serious owners then!  well.  since I installed RPM arms and Ti  t/buckles on the rear, everything has been reliable.