• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Thoughts?

Rustic Ade

In the process of making this (Mardave Cobra Sport) work again, I have reversed the front wishbone and shock tower set up. It has lengthened the wheelbase buy 15+mm.

Obviously I had to adjust the steering arms and the wishbones face the wrong way but structurally it seems sound. Hard to get a good photo but I tried. Aware I need to change the pins locating the wishbones as gravity is now an issue with the angle.

Has anyone else done similar?

Any other mods people can think of, open to suggestions. The shocks aren't great, don't know if the just need a good fettle. Any guidance on shock oil?

IMG20230216102748.thumb.jpg.a878ee1a066fe105040c8f9bb19b2037.jpgIMG20230216102756.thumb.jpg.36993fe75741dcfdd9cc1d7c84028b9d.jpgIMG20230216102807.thumb.jpg.edbc6d404c07041a46264cdd31c6b7ae.jpg

• Like 1

It is certainly something that can and is done. Just to to clarify you have flipped the arms and put the shock onto the rear of the shock tower? Is there anything coming into contact with the shock? Is there any strain on the shock, as in - is it at a funky angle putting stress on the shaft?

Found this for you: https://www.thercracer.com/2010/06/mardave-cobra-front-suspension-mod.html

Although they don't flip the arms. As long as the shock is not at a funny angle or it becomes short (if the arms were parallel with the ground and shock tower swept back meaning the shock with be over extending) then my guess it should be fine.

Edited by totlxtc
  • Like 1

I literally unbolted the front end, rearranged the steering stuff, spun it round and re bolted it, didn't take the shocks out of the wishbones or the shock tower.

All angles the same.

This is a picture before I started messing about, didn't get any close ups of the set up and angles.

IMG20230129161448.thumb.jpg.d74dae4f8e9b5d9b1a17bc23a7a2f4c0.jpg

Hard to tell in the pic but it does look like the shock is rubbing up against the shock tower? If so, maybe a spacer at the top to give a little more room for the shock to move freely? As long as that doesn’t push the shock too far out and cause binding issues where the shock mounts on the swing arm.

1 hour ago, totlxtc said:

It is certainly something that can and is done. Just to to clarify you have flipped the arms and put the shock onto the rear of the shock tower? Is there anything coming into contact with the shock? Is there any strain on the shock, as in - is it at a funky angle putting stress on the shaft?

Found this for you: https://www.thercracer.com/2010/06/mardave-cobra-front-suspension-mod.html

Although they don't flip the arms. As long as the shock is not at a funny angle or it becomes short (if the arms were parallel with the ground and shock tower swept back meaning the shock with be over extending) then my guess it should be fine.

Had a look at the link you sent. Nothing is fouling or catching on mine and actually, the lower shock mount position is stronger the way I did it as still firmly sandwiched in the original position in the wishbone.

Also, I can really see how they have extended the wheelbase?

2 minutes ago, Fat Freddy said:

Hard to tell in the pic but it does look like the shock is rubbing up against the shock tower? If so, maybe a spacer at the top to give a little more room for the shock to move freely? As long as that doesn’t push the shock too far out and cause binding issues where the shock mounts on the swing arm.

Nope, it's clear, the position and spacing hasn't changed from the manufacturers set up.

• Like 1