• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Upgrading wheels and tyres

Simon Hester

Very much a neebie and wanted some advise on putting larger wheels / tyres on my older RC car to turn it into a bit more of a truggy. 

Its a brushless buggy I guess you would call it. See the photos I think originally a BS701G-R which came in a few variations. 

Current wheels are front 2.8inch 1.5inch (39mm) rears are 2.8inch x 2inch (50mm). Can't quite work out the off set of the wheels read some guides and looks like they are close to zero or if anything a few mm towards the positive side. 

One of my worries is the front wheels as there is currently not a lot of clearance. My wider rear wheels do just fit but only just and I'm not sure there is really enough clearance as it even smaller than in the photos shown. 

Would a wheel with a negative off set help? As I figured it would push the wheel further out from the mount point and have less over lap of the steering arm and mounts.

Thanks in advance. 

car photos.jpg

yeah offset will bring them out a tad more brother bear in mind bigger wheels will also effect your gearing so may be to gear down ie smaller pinion needed whats the hex size 12mm? check out fasstrax range of wheel sets on MSUK good price and decent quality imo  i run there truggy wheels but mine are 17mm

• Like 2

My wheels are 12mm hex fitting. 

Seem like a mind field of choice although not sure what to go for in terms of tread we have a field to drive on with some sort of jumps then mainly it on car parks dusty roads.  

My gears I run a 15 on the motor and a 51 on the spur gear.

Don't do a lot of driving really when my 8 year old takes out his smaller truggy. Sort of hoping he will get good on that and i can give him my car before he goes on to buy his own.  

When you say MSUK is that modelsport.co.uk?

Edited by Simon Hester