• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Modernising an old classic!

Rustic Ade

8 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

it is an old motor and could be on way out

mardave motors may just be rebadged generic motors(could be wrong) but i guess no harm asking them and see what they recommend 

How do you go about choosing motors, pinions etc? I know it's a 540 brushed unit but after that they talk about a't' value for the motor (turns?).

If I want a bit of pace where do I start?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

mardave motors may just be rebadged generic motors(could be wrong) but i guess no harm asking them and see what they recommend 

How do I go about choosing a motor? I know it's a 540 unit but then there are 't' (turn?) Values, and then gearing to address, where do I start or do I buy a motor and a variety of pinions and just go out and figure?

I JUST WANT A BIT OF SPEED!!!

any idea whats in the car ?

generally the lower the number of turns the faster the motor but less torque

the esc should have a turn rating as well so dont go below that or the esc could pop 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Stormbringer said:

any idea whats in the car ?

generally the lower the number of turns the faster the motor but less torque

the esc should have a turn rating as well so dont go below that or the esc could pop 

Right, that can be my homework for tomorrow. I have a hobbywing quicrun 1060 esc, will try and find the spec and also see if I can identify the motor.

Will get back to you tomorrow...

Cheers fella 👍🏻

2 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

The stock motor should be a silver can motor, the one fitted is a Demon Modified motor with adjustable timing. 

Just wondering how fast was it on the mechanical speedo? 

• Like 1

As I understand it, the T value is the number of coils of wire around the rotor. Essentially the lighter the rotor (the fewer turns), the faster it can spin. Good for speed, but not for acceleration.

More turns means more weight, so spins slower but generates more torque.

I’d guess something like this would suit you https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/core-rc-15t-silver-can-brushed-540-motor-442358

but that’s not a recommendation, just a suggestion, I’ve no personal experience of one of these.

Edited by Fat Freddy
  • Like 2

Spot on freddy also referred too as Turns the lower the turn the faster it spins more power, some motors have x too meaning torque like a 13x2 or 17x3 alot of drifter started to use the torquer motors to help with drifting good to bear in mind the lower the turn the quicker it will burn though the brushes though used to run a tt-01 on a no limit and 9turn motor and that thing flew lol nowadays brushless has taken over due to not need brushes inside its a dark art in racing with adjustabile timing to gain that extra omppph  😁

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rustic Ade said:

How do you go about choosing motors, pinions etc? I know it's a 540 brushed unit but after that they talk about a't' value for the motor (turns?).

If I want a bit of pace where do I start?

look a read on here buddy they have a few gearing charts for that model 👍 best to pick your motor by the ESC allowance then do your gearing after by matching the right pinion and spur combo 👍

https://tamiyabase.com/forum/35-other-makes-custom-builds/10141-mardave-cobra-runner

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Steve-O2021 said:

The stock motor should be a silver can motor, the one fitted is a Demon Modified motor with adjustable timing. 

Just wondering how fast was it on the mechanical speedo? 

No idea how fast it ran.

What does adjustable timing affect?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rustic Ade said:

No idea how fast it ran.

Ahhh just thought if you tested it with the mechanical speedo at least you know it's not a setting on the esc.

Oh your battery is 100% charged isn't it?

Another thing you could do is strip the motor as it will be stripable and post some pics of the comm and brushes etc. Also check the bearings in the motor

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Steve-O2021 said:

Ahhh just thought if you tested it with the mechanical speedo at least you know it's not a setting on the esc.

Oh your battery is 100% charged isn't it?

Another thing you could do is strip the motor as it will be stripable and post some pics of the comm and brushes etc. Also check the bearings in the motor

I'll do that, nothing to lose. Got the kids with me this weekend so will do it Monday night. Loving this remote help! Cheers 👍🏻

Really struggling not mentioning bell end and sniggering 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

just checked and motor limits for esc are 2s 12 turn and 3s 18 turn

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-quicrun-1060-brushed-waterproof-esc-sbec-404964

Currently running it on 7.2v nimh.

I need to sit down and consolidate all this brilliant info so I can read arrow down motor/suitable motor, battery, and gears.

Thank you all for your time.

Currently setting the kids up to built a micro crawler course in my roof space!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stormbringer said:

did you set the throttle end points ?

Erm, please could you run that by me (please don't say something which will reveal me as an idiot to the forum) in simple terms.

• Haha 1

basically its telling the esc what is full speed forward and back wards

if you havnt set the endpoints the esc may not be not giving full throttle

its in the manual how to do it

Edited by Stormbringer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

basically its telling the esc what is full speed forward and back wards

if you havnt set the endpoints the esc may not be not giving full throttle

its in the manual how to do it

Right, I need to do this without the kids around, they distract me, they seem to think it's just a game and it's a plaything. They'll be back to their mum on Monday so will start fresh and uninterrupted them.

Right, i'm going to wedge myself into the roof eves to play, ahem, hone my driving skills on the microcrawler track!

Will let you know how Monday goes!

Cheers 👍🏻

• Like 1