• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Getting back into the hobby.

Davejm1980

Hi. 

Dug my schumacher cougar sv2 out the other day. Bought new lipo and it's running. I bought the motor esc combo back in 2015 one of those orange leopard sets. It's 9.5t. Running 2s lipo 

Questions. 

1. fairly often while using it, it will not drive and stutters (see attached video) 

(took spur gear cover off for video) 

2. Is 9.5t the right motor for a 2wd buggy? I'm not not a great driver but I really struggle to get the power down it'll spin the wheels at 20mph+ or would a gear change help. When people refer to a motor speed and torque, does torque mean acceleration over top speed? 

3. Is a different topic. 

I want to build a couple of tamiya kits. 

Blitzer beetle 

Racing fighter or sand viper 

And probably a Lunchbox (because everyone should have a lunchbox) 

I know quality/tunablility wise they'll pale in comparison to my cougar but it's kinda wasted on me with my limited driving skills. 

Was going to go for a tamiya sport tuned brushed but with 2s lipo with these kits. Or is there a slower more suitable brushless set I could use? Especially in the lunchbox and blitzer being trucks. 

Any advise really appreciated 

Edited by Davejm1980

9.5t is fine for a 2wd buggy. If you think it's too fast, see if you've got the capability to turn down the punch on your esc or the throttle dual rate on your transmitter to make it a bit more controllable.

You're experiencing some pretty nasty cogging there. The fact you're talking in motor turns rather than Kv suggests you've got a sensored system, so I'd check to see if the sensor wire is still attached and if it's all in one piece first!

17 hours ago, ReggieC said:

9.5t is fine for a 2wd buggy. If you think it's too fast, see if you've got the capability to turn down the punch on your esc or the throttle dual rate on your transmitter to make it a bit more controllable.

You're experiencing some pretty nasty cogging there. The fact you're talking in motor turns rather than Kv suggests you've got a sensored system, so I'd check to see if the sensor wire is still attached and if it's all in one piece first!

Hi. Thanks for the reply. 

It's actually sensor less and 9t.

I was just reading what it says on the side re using turns 

I've forgotten a lot of what I learnt the first time around.  Kv is 4370 

What can I do to stop the cogging? 

Thanks 

Edited by Davejm1980