• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Arrma 4x2 Boost series - any major drawbacks?

I’m considering one of the 2wd Vorteks at £179 as they seem reasonable value.  The jump to the BLX models seems a bit steep, especially when the ESC and motor combo anecdotally have a few issues like throttle lag and motor bearing failure. 

Since I’m just getting my feet wet again (I had one of the Hobbyking Nitro Circus trucks years ago),  I’d rather not commit big money at this stage. As far as I know, aside from 4wd and the brushless setup the Boost cars are only missing camber adjustment and metal gears over the BLX, so if I did want to upgrade I can choose my own power train and add in the 4wd kit later. 

Any major weakness I’m missing or better value alternatives?

The Associated MT10 was just about on the list but their prices are well into the £300s now, perhaps they will drop as the V2 model starts filling shelves. 

Not interested in anything Traxxas. 

The brushless FTX/Maverick range comes in cheap, but I’m not convinced its any good. 

A while back I got back into RC myself after years away and bought the granite 4x4 with the brushed setup for about £230. While not a direct comparison it is similar. After two days of driving the brushed motor burnt out, I then got another brushed motor from a different company and it was fine but tbh I quickly got bored of how slow the truck was and decided to upgrade to brushless. It cost me an about £250 in parts  i.e motor mounts, new slipper clutch and a host of small parts where needed to beef it up to handle brushless and that’s not counting a lipo battery.   There were alot of parts needed and in the end I still didn’t have the metal hex mounts and adjustable turnbuckles of the 3s BLX. I got my son a mega 550 brushed (he’s only 9 so brushed is plenty for him) granite for Xmas and the brushed motor also only lasted a week so we had to throw in my old brushed motor and fan to keep it right. I would say if you have any plans to use it regularly you will want to quickly upgrade or possibly have to. I really like my granite now but I wish I just had of bought brushless to begin with as it was a lot of hassle. Also I’m not sure how it would handle in 2wd, in 4wd it is a pretty tail happy truck and definatley has plenty of oversteer on loose surfaces as it is quite short in wheelbase. Starting again I would either buy the 3s blx or gab that associated to begin with

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/01/2023 at 10:42, Craigyboy83 said:

A while back I got back into RC myself after years away and bought the granite 4x4 with the brushed setup for about £230. While not a direct comparison it is similar. After two days of driving the brushed motor burnt out, I then got another brushed motor from a different company and it was fine but tbh I quickly got bored of how slow the truck was and decided to upgrade to brushless. It cost me an about £250 in parts  i.e motor mounts, new slipper clutch and a host of small parts where needed to beef it up to handle brushless and that’s not counting a lipo battery.   There were alot of parts needed and in the end I still didn’t have the metal hex mounts and adjustable turnbuckles of the 3s BLX. I got my son a mega 550 brushed (he’s only 9 so brushed is plenty for him) granite for Xmas and the brushed motor also only lasted a week so we had to throw in my old brushed motor and fan to keep it right. I would say if you have any plans to use it regularly you will want to quickly upgrade or possibly have to. I really like my granite now but I wish I just had of bought brushless to begin with as it was a lot of hassle. Also I’m not sure how it would handle in 2wd, in 4wd it is a pretty tail happy truck and definatley has plenty of oversteer on loose surfaces as it is quite short in wheelbase. Starting again I would either buy the 3s blx or gab that associated to begin with

Thanks, exactly the kind of info I was after.  Have being reading around and much of what you have said is on the money. 

I still reckon they are a good deal at £179, but not as an upgrade platform, just as a tough brushed basher with decent spares support.