• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Land Cruiser 70 build

cooper_xl

13 hours ago, Mr Fro said:

If you have a look on the Liqcreate website it has quite a good settings matrix for different printers and resins - that's what I used.

Thanks! I've sent them to my buddy!

barghhghgghg!

This don't come really as a surprise but the KingKong gearbox isn't really made for these builds. Even with the epoxy reinforcements and helicoils, the threads on one side loosen up constantly.  Was trying to add a printed part to hold the weight of the motor and all that handling stripped the threads(this truck never leaved the house!).Explained the situation to the company and they sent a replacement . But I can't wait so got the original Unimog gearbox in there

The gearbox needs a spacer to avoid cutting the shaft and with guides to center everything. Decided to do that integrated on the actual chassis mount:

k6c9XG9h.jpg

bfdjU7ah.jpg

This spare Boom Racing shaft has the perfect length !

4EXF36Ph.jpg

NEw47Plh.jpg

The old gearbox had the scale looks but this one is growing on me. Reminds me of those old school builds. And has 1:9 ratio instead of 1:18 so it will have twice the  wheelspeed. If it handled  the heavy Unimog, I'm sure it can handle this truck

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

pity the scale gearbox was problematic but at least you know this 1 is reliable :good:

I'll find use for that gearbox. Even if I just use the internals in a 3d printed housing with a different shape

But this new setup gave more clearance under and overneath. 

Leaf springs are new to me and when I test drove the truck, rear axle was wobbly, the softer leafs have that disadvantage . Have seen anti-wrap bar mods, decided to give it a go, first with a simple single point bar and if that doesn't work, would do a 2 point bar

6mm hex stock to make a rod
wChgvuNh.jpg

Simple axle mount made from square tubing
Pjq9ie9h.jpg

Cosmetic improvement

Uidnaseh.jpg

In place:
5gcaXwph.jpg

XPBnq7zh.jpg

Really liked on how solid the axle feels now, with no binding

Edited by cooper_xl
  • Like 2

Something I've been stuck for a while. I just couldn't 3D model inner fenders. Never looked right. Tried for the JK and quit(I'm scratchbuilding them now) but took another chance on the LC70. Copied the shape of the rails to be super tight and it's held with just 2 screws.

MWvB7NGh.png

Was forced to do them because the chassis is custom and nothing off-the-shelf would fit properly. Besides, Inner fenders on the market are pretty expensive for trial and error
 Printed these out of TPU and did some experiments with sandpaper to mimic that plastic inner fender look. Assembled, doesn't look so bad. Want to try sandblasting to give a more uniform texture but machine is broken

4ILr1tah.jpg

• Like 2

This is the latest detail I've added and was almost a chore:

TsbdyZrh.jpg

fiiriWUh.jpg

A set of portuguese plates,period correct . Tried to do them at home and settled with this 4 color print. Printer couldn't do the 12 EU stars so replaced them with a circle. Should work at a distance . the Y in the plate is a forbidden letter in plates but let's see if you can guess why it's there

• Like 3

The front plate don't need anything extra but the rear one would look out of place,alone back there. So I've mounted it on a bracket with the licence plate lights:

CgyXLjth.jpg

Oqi24Ioh.jpg

h9Drxa4h.jpg

The bracket itself was printed white,to be painted black with the lights' area masked. In the end ,poured clear silicone on those openings to mimic the lenses

• Like 2

Seats fixed, painted the door cards to match and added the headliner

IMG_20221005_233142.thumb.jpg.b4aeb42a9931aa33089b03c599a942a6.jpg

dGN0fomh.jpg

lhUnKxjh.jpg

I want to paint the dashboard but was already assembled when I got this body. Everything's glued and with the stickers

Edited by cooper_xl
  • Like 3

Did something unusual on builds: the headliner. The most reasonable thing to do after was to put something to break all that blank space

Went for the functional sun visors:

SA5yhToh.jpg

They were 3D printed and have a hole through to fit a 0.6mm steel wire for the 2 pivots

video:

https://i.imgur.com/VWd7XRR.mp4

• Like 2

I have these fake hubs I've ordered for the Unimog but found their way to the LC70. They are pretty nice for the price but they need something extra. Thought of adding the Toyota logo but not sure how. Too small for 3D printing and vinyl sticker. But a buddy of mine has a laser engraver. He liked the idea and helped with this:

9uMVNimh.jpeg

tE3Kejmh.jpeg

• Like 3