• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Where do you buy your gear?

Mr Fro

Hello everyone, 

Last night I was fiddling about with electric gear trying to do a bit of figuring of what esc goes with which motor & is controlled by that receiver & this controller... You get the idea.

In the process of the aforementioned fiddling, some smoke escaped from a small esc so I'm going to have to replace it but I don't know any good places to buy from.

I bought a couple of LiPo batteries from Amazon the other week and only one worked so I'm not too enthused about going down that road again.

Thinking of it, I'll probably have to get a fair bit of general stuff over the foreseeable future so somewhere that has a good range of general equipment would be good.

Who do you recommend? 

Cheers,

Fro

Hi. I tend to use:

Modelsport..... good prices, excellent service and quick delivery

Ebay

Aliexpress...... can be a lot cheaper, parts can take up to 8 weeks to arrive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you!

I've used Alex press & Banggood for machining equipment & consumables in the past. I've found it a bit hit & miss. It's not so bad having a carbide milling cutter snap on you unexpectedly - a dodgy LiPo on the other hand would worry me.

I'll check out modelsport - I appreciate the recommendation.

• Thanks 1

I use all sorts of places for my parts.  AliExpress for some. Modelsport.com.  Makeitbuildit.com. then for lipos. I use a drone shop for them. And get stuff printed by weerg if it needs to be a very very good print. I design and print a lot of my own parts now.  A few shops like rcmart from China for stuff we don't do in the UK. And dlux for rock crawler parts. 

Most of my purchases have been from Modelsport unless there's something not in stock. I've used King's Lynn models to order an RC buggy that was out of stock and surprisingly was cheaper than Modelsport but that's not a local store or anything, I'm completely the other side of the country being NW based. I just like Modelsport's website, it's by far the easiest to navigate around especially if you want spares and upgrades. 

I got 2 decent lipo batteries from eBay that came as a pair and I've been happy with those and I've just ordered a new drive shaft on eBay as well, mostly because of the free delivery. Even if the price is inflated on eBay it's still often cheaper than paying delivery charges of £4 for a £3 item.

I'm completely cutting back on Amazon unless absolutely necessary, far too much money gets frittered away on Amazon.

Mostly comp based parts.  So stuff for Cars like the rc4wd bully 2.   Currently working on some weight hangers for it. As no one else is. 

But I also designed a full range of parts for the lcg chessis from AliExpress. And custom parts for a few people. 

Depending on what car it is. I might be able to help.  I'd suggest getting the file made then using someone like weerg to print the item for you in one of the stronger plastics 

1 hour ago, Hell horn. said:

Mostly comp based parts.  So stuff for Cars like the rc4wd bully 2.   Currently working on some weight hangers for it. As no one else is. 

But I also designed a full range of parts for the lcg chessis from AliExpress. And custom parts for a few people. 

Depending on what car it is. I might be able to help.  I'd suggest getting the file made then using someone like weerg to print the item for you in one of the stronger plastics 

It's an old Rhino buggy that had a coming together with a wall...

I used some structural resin to stick it back together again so I might as well throw it in CAD while it's off.

I don't think my injection moulding machine can manage nylon temperatures so a print it probably the only option.