• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Problem fitting roto start backplate to Hobao Hyper 30 VS buggy

I am having difficulty installing the roto start backplate into my Hobao Hyper 30 VS. The backplate itself installs fine, but when I reinstall the manifold and exhaust pipe, the tip of the roto start where the hex driver installs interferes with the exhaust manifold. It means that the manifold does not sit flush against the exhaust outlet of the Hyper 30 engine, which means there likely won't be a decent seal. Also, the manifold is pushed against the tip of the roto start where the hex driver is installed so when it spins it would rub hard against the manifold. You can see this issue in the photos. I haven't reinstalled the spring that holds the manifold in place because I do not intend to use it like this. I have tried twisting the manifold in various positions, but it does not alleviate the problem. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what did you do about it?

I have looked and have not been able to find any mention of this issue anywhere. I'm wondering whether my manifold isn't quite right, or whether everyone else just makes do with that setup. I've looked at Youtube videos with the roto start backplate for Hobao Hypers, but they are all about the Hyper 7 or the Hyper VS with the Macstar 28 engine. For the latter the manifold is installed correctly and it just clears the roto start. It looks to be the same exhaust manifold which leads me to think maybe my manifold isn't quite right. I notice that with the Hyper 7 it uses a different manifold and exhaust. I have the Hyper SS 30 Truggy which uses the exact same exhaust and the roto start backplate works just fine on that. I have tested that exhaust and manifold on my Hyper VS and it also fits fine with the roto start backplate. Short of buying a whole new exhaust, is there a better solution?

Hyper 30 VS Roto Start 0.jpg

Hyper 30 VS Roto Start 1.jpg

Edited by slith
slight changes

• slith changed the title to Problem fitting roto start backplate to Hobao Hyper 30 VS buggy

You'd think the company selling their products would design such things so that they fit their own products. I haven't seen one yet, but it looks like with the new manifold on the VS2 this won't be a problem. Haven't seen one in the flesh yet, but I might gamble on the VS2's manifold when they become available.

• 8 months later...

Hi slith. Did you figure out the problem to this. I have a vs2 .30 same as you. I am having a nightmare with the pull starts. Either breaking or flopping down on to the exhaust melting the cords. It'd doing my head in. I'm looking for a roto start to go on to the car aswell .if you sorted the problem out could you let me know what you did.

Many thankS

Chris