• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Noob needs buying advice for an 1:8 or 1:10 electric RC car

baniskher

Hey there. All my friends are getting into RC cars and I'm going with them every weekend. I now need one, too 🙂

I thought you guys might be able to help me, so here's some criteria:

• I'm willing to pay 600-1000$, I just want something decent.

• I want something quite fast and aggressive that loses traction in corners

• It should be able to go off road but with a relatively stiff suspension (one friend has a traxxas summit and I really dislike it. Maybe I'm going to change my mind because I have no Idea of what is good and whatnot, but to me it is just slow, spongy and boring)

• I thought about getting something rally-like (something like the hpi ken block wr8) because I really thought drifting on the road and gravel is fun but it might be a bit too no-compromise for off road use and jumps and stuff https://routerlogin.uno/ https://192168ll.link/ https://19216801.onl/ .

• one friend has the HPI RTR Trophy Truggy Flux and I really like it. Are there any similar cars? If possible I don't want exactly the same car, just to have some variety.

• I want good spare and tuning parts availability

• high quality, very rugged build

Hope there's something that might fit the bill...

Edited by baniskher

So did OP make a purchase?

Are you looking for something to just bash around with or are you thinking of doing a spot of racing? Even a bit of grass roots racing?

For 4wd buggies my suggestions would be Corally Radix or Hobao Hyper VS

For short course truck I can't look past the Arrma Senton due to better pricing than the Traxxas Slash.

For monster trucks you're spoiled for choice with Traxxas Maxx models and the Associated Rival MT probably being the picks of the bunch.

Then you've got this newer class of monster truck that's lower slung and better at high speeds like the Arrma Kraton and Traxxas E Revo.

Worth noting on brands is who owns them. For example Arrma and Losi are owned by Horizon Hobbies and generally Arrma products are seen more for "bashing" and Losi are more for "racing". That's certainly not a hard and fast rule.

Oh and rock racers are now a thing too. So they're like those spongey rock crawlers except they go really fast and might be a good first purchase.

Edited by BaldyMan

Originally I bought a Maverick Quantum+ Flux XT because I thought it split the difference between a racing buggy and a monster truck. That was a bad decision because in the end I realised it was too big to toss in a backpack and I really like cutting laps in my garden or local parks. The truck wasn't really agile enough to get consist laps out of it and I replaced it with a 1/10 scale buggy.

Now the buggy is really good in short grass, road and dirt. I'm much happier with it but it's definitely not really for bashing and now I'm wondering if I should have got a short course truck like the Senton. I'll probably get a Se ton for Christmas once my wife has stopped seething about the expense.