• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Different tyre compounds, same truck

heavyDT

Hello

I wasn't sure where to post this so please move if it's wrong ☹️

I ordered two sets of proline krawler tyres from two different shops and have ended up with predator compound and G8 compound across four tyres.

Will this be a problem or will it not make much difference to driving/grip.

I really wanted predator compound but its my fault for not taking enough notice when ordering 🙄.

If I keep the mismatched tyres which ones would you put on the front/rear and why.

Sorry for the long post but I didn't know who else to ask 😃

I look forward to hearing your opinions 😃

Heavydt

That’s probably quite a tricky question (at least with my limited knowledge). 

With 2w drive buggies (and mountain bikes) you would probably want to put the harder wearing set on the rear drive wheels where most of the power/weight goes as they would last much better then the softer set. But I’m not sure that is all that useful when it comes to 4wd crawlers.

Going back to the mountain bike (where mismatched tyres are pretty normal), I would always tend towards putting a softer gripper tyre on the front as having the front wash out is generally much worse than loosing grip at the rear. Again I’m not sure if this is directly applicable to crawling but it’s probably where I would start as you’re relying for the front wheels for steering and drive (as opposed to just having drive at the rear) so it makes sense (to me) to have more grip there. 

Edited by BigGinge
  • Like 1

On a crawler I'd put the softer compound on the front, so the truck is pulled more than pushed. Similar to over driving the front axle. 

Before you glue (or put all the beadlock screws in) check the truck sits level with the tyres on, if one is much softer or has different inserts you might have more sidewall compression on one set. 

Thank you for your replies so far, the general consensus seems to be put the predator compound on the front and the G8 on the rear. I do wonder if I would be better seeing if I could change the G8's for predators so it matches all round?🤔