• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hump Pack Power Query (for a HPI Savage)

Pistols

So, dusting off (literally) my Savage 25 and need a new hump pack.

My question is, should I stick with a 6v 1600 or would the extra power of a 4200 be useful? 

Would it even be too much and fry the receiver?

So, worth the extra money or just overkill?

I had upgraded the servos, back in the day, and it now has an HPI 2.4Ghz transmitter and receiver upgrade, running Proline Big Joe tyres (so quite heavy) but may go back to the Dirt Bones to stop shredding diffs as the front diff is first mechanical thing I need to fix (replace) before running.

if you fit a 6V 4200Mah pack.....all it does is run for longer.

If the receiver was intended to run off a 6V source, then it will be fine. If you went to a higher voltage, you might get issues if your receiver wasn;t designed to handle it.

• Thanks 1

Not much room in stock battery box for anything larger than 2000mAh. I've ran LiFe 1700mAh as they are 6.6V with flatter discharge curve, so more constant voltage/power. Unless your bashing for hours and hours then you dont need more capacity.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys I've replaced the hump pack with one off these

[£8.47 35% OFF]SG 1603 1604 UDIRC 1601 RC Car Spare 7.4V 1200mAh 2C JST Plug Li-ion Battery 1603-012 Vehicles Parts RC Parts from Toys Hobbies and Robot on banggood
https://banggood.onelink.me/zMT7/ix6saez2

Although they took a while to get here I find the a little better than the stock battery packs... the receiver needs to support a hight current as these pump out 7.4 volts ....these fit the box

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update on these battery packs ...loads better than the hump pack batteries lasted around 4 hrs of continuous bashing it's a good idea to buy a couple of these if ya bashing for longer 😀 oh by the way if you have a fancy remote it will monitor the battery so no need for the battery indicator leds on the side of the reciver box...bonus

Edited by DaniSanto
  • Like 1