• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help a newbie out please

CJM

Hello everyone

I purchased my first nitro car a new Haboa Hyper 7 TQ2 .21 turbo 3 port car which arrived today

I had a few issues priming it and flooded the engine, after I emptied the excess fuel out I have got it to start, it idles fine for around 30 seconds however then it starts to accelerate much faster on its own, the servos don't move but I have to pinch the pipe to stop the engine.

Am I missing something.  trims and everything seem ok, when I take the air filter off the inlet is closed, I have not touched any of the needles

I did get a little fuel out of the pull cord as well when I flooded it

Is there something wrong with this engine?

HELP

No....this is not something 'wrong' as such.

If this is a new engine, you need to run through the break in process, and for this.,... the engine will be set up very rich. The fuel also contains the oil that lubricates the moving parts. So more oil is needed while the motor is broken in.

You may be getting a build up of fuel in the engine which is c ausing it to run erratically and seem to have a mind of it;s own.

Have you read up on the process needed to break in a new engine? If not....you really need to. Also check that your carb is set up correctly at its base settings. Should be in the manual.

Idling a motor like this for any length of time is never good forhappy running, as they are designed to be running at high rpm.

• Thanks 1

The manual for the engine tells me to idle the engine for 3 full tanks without moving for the initial break in.

I have checked the factory settings and will retry just now.

Are you saying this is happening because I am not moving the car, and should be driving ir around with increasing power to break it in?

I watched guides online that said to do this, however when it began accelerating like a loony I was a little reluctant to begin driving.

Thanks for your help, I am a complete beginner.

Thanks Nitroholic

Think factory settings were wrong, thats what caused me all my issues....seem to be getting it to idle a bit better now

Ill try again tomorrow,  cant noise my neighbours up any more today, he is a loud wee git!

Well good news, after resetting the needles to defaults, and starting then closing the idle screw I have got it to idle  2 full tanks as per the manual,  that's almost 3 in all. Although there was a bit of high revving in the first tank but I believe this is not the end of the world as was for very short periods and don't think at full throttle by any, means.   (Manual says idle for 3 tanks without moving)

Can I ask is it normal if the idle screw is too high for the engine to take off and rev very high engaging the clutch?

I am at the stage of getting ready to tune and give it a run in figure of 8's.

Final question, not loving the stock transmitter with the hyper 7, feels cheap and not well built, I dont think I'll upgrade for a wee while until used to running but if I decide to upgrade I assume I need  a new transmitter and receiver?

Some inexpensive options on amazon seem to get very good reviews, are they worth the upgrade?

Getting a 'Ready to Run' car not correctly setup is not uncommon. Also not limited to this manufacturer.

I learnt this lesson the hard way when I got a Thunder Tiger truggy with the throttle linkage so badly setup it went full open the instant you switched on the power. That would not have been good if I had started the brand new engine.

As a matter of routine, I reset all the needles to factory base, power up the servos and check and corectly set the idle, making sure the linkage has a bit of free play at neutral and the servo isn;t holding the idle position. These are all things you would assume was done before the car was boxed up....but no. It's also worth going over a new car to check for tightness of essential bolts etc.

Definitely mate, it's a learning curve.

Been a service engineer long enough to realise not most things dont arrive as they should be, and there are so many variables with these things it only takes 1 to mess up your day.

Sure I will get it, just take a bit of patience and practice.

What would you recommend to check for the throttle servo? How should it be set for the brake and throttle?

I have been round all fixings and all were OK, pull cord body screws needed a slight nip up but suspect this is not the end of the world.

Starting is proving a challenge as well, but will probably get much better as time goes on, and easier as the engine beds in.

Was a buzz when I got the engine idling, it is a superb bit of kit!

Are there any clubs near Falkirk who could offer a little assistance if things get frustrating, I am sure an experienced person would see what I am doing and point out my mistakes within minutes. 

Edited by CJM