• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hi from Norfolk - the land of sunshine

Jim W

Welcome aboard Jim. :cheers: 

I'm sure we can all learn a thing or too from you but we'll all be happy to help you too should the need arise.

Hope I'm still enjoying RC when I reach my senior years (42 now so getting there). 

Welcome to MSUK! Sorry to hear you’ve had to drop some of your hobbies. You shouldn’t be disappointed with this new one though!

Hi Guys & Gals once again, I’m so pleased to see your responses - quite unexpected;  I wish for you all many happy hours of enjoyment with your cars, crawlers and whatever, personally I cant wait for the boxes to arrive so that I can get started modifying -  I feel the need to bring up the electrics to the Traxxas standard which seems to be all singing and dancing, in view of this I’ve ordered a complete  Absima CR6S 5ch tx/rx setup from  World Models at Sittingbourne, next thing might be an integrated tx/esc unit but I’ll have to see on the job so to speak — maybe the Defender comes complete (R to R?) as the blurb says but I’m hedging my bets on this, if the CR6S set turns out to be overkill then I’ll offer it here.

Not sure about motor noises I can Brum-Brum myself if it comes to it - I do it every night…..

Happy crawling to you all.

Jim

Edited by Jim W
Change wording
  • Like 1

Hi Tony,  Good to meet you, I’m enjoying this forum like you and I hope you continue, there’s sure some good reading here.

I’ve just been watching a U tube video on the TRX5 by Traxxas, can’t  afford one at moment but am looking forward to the time I can…..

Jim

• Like 1

Almost a good day - my Toyan L200 engine arrived after 3 weeks,  unfortunately it is incomplete - missing the starter pack, spark plugs, many screws - and not least the assembly manual in  English  which adds to the difficulty so it looks like I’ve got several more weeks wait before I get them after re-ordering.  Many more bits and pieces including the Double E 1/8  Defender still in the pipeline .

Jim

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Jim W said:

Almost a good day - my Toyan L200 engine arrived after 3 weeks,  unfortunately it is incomplete - missing the starter pack, spark plugs, many screws - and not least the assembly manual in  English  which adds to the difficulty so it looks like I’ve got several more weeks wait before I get them after re-ordering.  Many more bits and pieces including the Double E 1/8  Defender still in the pipeline .

Jim

Hopefully will be worth the wait! 

Having got my Toyan LS200 engine yesterday - and been initially pleased today I’m rather displeased because I find that some accessory parts are just dropped in the box and many screws to attach them, as well as the start motor drive belt are all  absent,

The Toyan company is in China and is most difficult to contact making my purchase a lump of very expensive junk;  I wonder how long this situation can go on for…..you see, at my age time is rather limited anyway!

Jim

Edited by Jim W

38 minutes ago, Jim W said:

Having got my Toyan LS200 engine yesterday - and been initially pleased today I’m rather displeased because I find that some accessory parts are just dropped in the box and many screws to attach them, as well as the start motor toothed drive belt are all  absent,

The Toyan company is in China and is most difficult to contact making my purchase a lump of very expensive junk;  I wonder how long this situation can go on for…..you see, at my age time is rather limited anyway!

Jim

There is always going to be a risk involved buying from overseas. Often it works out well, but I’ve heard similar stories before 😞

Have just written to the company stating the facts - especially the missing starter drive belt and readable assembly manual

( instead of enclosing it within a QR code that I cannot read).

Hey-ho!  (Your reply appreciated).

Jim

Edited by Jim W

One of my 3 driver figures arrived today, the forerunner of many parts said to be on their way.   There are several items on the Double E 1/8 Defender I want to change using info gleaned from U-tube videos which are: Steering servo to be at least 20Kg, motor change to brushless 1200kg min preferably with integral esc and possibly the tyres.  To me this model is going to be more of a fiddling project that a running jobbie - although the latter would be nice, any advice or suggestions would be most welcome.

Being kind of ‘out in the sticks’ here I’m not aware of any suitable areas on which to crawl, if any are known venues please let me know, thanks.

Jim

Books on most subjects are available from sellers everywhere -  but book or books on r/c Crawling just cant be found probably because the subject is very complicated and deep, if you can recommend such books please assist in my search.

Another Toyan engine arrived yesterday - so now I have choices on which to possibly fit after the biggie Defender arrives soon.

Meanwhile I struggle alone with my dear wife Catherine in hospital at age 87 who is itching to get out after spending two weeks in without much attention.

Jim

Edited by Jim W

On 18/02/2022 at 09:04, Jim W said:

Books on most subjects are available from sellers everywhere -  but book or books on r/c Crawling just cant be found probably because the subject is very complicated and deep, if you can recommend such books please assist in my search.

Another Toyan engine arrived yesterday - so now I have choices on which to possibly fit after the biggie Defender arrives soon.

Meanwhile I struggle alone with my dear wife Catherine in hospital at age 87 who is itching to get out after spending two weeks in without much attention.

Jim

Can’t comment on books, especially crawling specific.

sorry to hear about your wife though. Hope she makes a speedy recovery and is home safe with you soon.

My letter box is like a dripping tap, -  to add to my two Toyan motors 1cyl and 2 cyl engines already delivered today my 4 channel Traxxas tx/rx has also arrived now giving me options on the best one to use. The Traxxas unit seems to cover most things I would want so I’m likely to now have two spare complete radios when the R To R  Defender comes though when that will be is anybodies guess as Banggood messaged me on 14/2 /22 to say they are waiting for new stock from the makers,  Also today yet another driver figure arrived - again giving me choices.

Really looking forward to receiving the outstanding Defender now…..

jim

FDDF4410-2CE6-4E60-83ED-A9A033E04A06.jpeg

B0E00EAD-A1B3-4928-99C4-DB1840986132.jpeg

• Like 1

What a difference -  with my Banggood order cancelled I re-ordered with World of Models (Germany) yesterday,  - this morning received communication saying my order has been posted (also at lower price) with delivery expected on 24 th February,  thats real service?

Jim

• Like 2

A bl..dy Enormous box has just arrived from Germany - containing of course my Land Rover D110 Defender, no matterhow many photos of this machine one sees - the sheer size of the package is somewhat breathtaking.

so now to unpack the box and take a look- see at it……

First thing that disappoints  on removing the model is finding a disconnected radius rod….disconnected because the short amount of thread 3/16” securing the rod to the plastic ball joint is insufficient to resist the chassis twisting forces generated by the steering loads, with all four radius rods being the same this is a very breakage prone area that must be replaced before any  serious trailing let alone crawling which would definitely be impossible.

Another very poor design is that all (or most) of the would-be bolts are just small wood screws  which in my mind is pathetic.

It will definitely be a while before I can get or make up replacement parts, I’ve tried to contact Double E but could only do so through e-bay so now I await their reply.

jim

2CA42A63-2C76-4EA1-9629-73B08A87F09B.jpeg

Edited by Jim W