• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

advice required before purchasing first RC in years

adamfshaw

Evening all, I'm looking for a bit of advice/ nudging in the right direction

I am looking to purchase my first RC in many years and I'm rather out of the loop on the whole brushless/ lipo situation and after searching the forum & multiple sales website I'm even more lost than when I started. I have had a look through the carnage mega thread and can't find the answers I require. 

First of all I was tempted by the ftx carnage/ bugsta brushed version until I saw the brushless version which took my interest further, giving me a few questions about this truck and also the technology in general.

Is the carnage brushless the best value for money or is it worth investing in a more expensive model? If so what do you recommend?

Am I right in saying that the limiting factor in going from 2s lipo to 3s lipo is the ESC? And the carnage is limited to 2s?

I'm looking for a off-road truck for general bashing in the woods/ short grass/ BMX tracks ect, turning into something me and my son can enjoy playing with & repairing or hopping up. My young nephew's have recently got the brushed version of the carnage which is why I have gone straight to that model?

I really don't want to sound like a newbie but we've all got to learn somewhere and I want to be sure I know what I'm getting in to?

Thanks in advance

Adam

1 hour ago, adamfshaw said:

Evening all, I'm looking for a bit of advice/ nudging in the right direction

I am looking to purchase my first RC in many years and I'm rather out of the loop on the whole brushless/ lipo situation and after searching the forum & multiple sales website I'm even more lost than when I started. I have had a look through the carnage mega thread and can't find the answers I require. 

First of all I was tempted by the ftx carnage/ bugsta brushed version until I saw the brushless version which took my interest further, giving me a few questions about this truck and also the technology in general.

Is the carnage brushless the best value for money or is it worth investing in a more expensive model? If so what do you recommend?

Am I right in saying that the limiting factor in going from 2s lipo to 3s lipo is the ESC? And the carnage is limited to 2s?

I'm looking for a off-road truck for general bashing in the woods/ short grass/ BMX tracks ect, turning into something me and my son can enjoy playing with & repairing or hopping up. My young nephew's have recently got the brushed version of the carnage which is why I have gone straight to that model?

I really don't want to sound like a newbie but we've all got to learn somewhere and I want to be sure I know what I'm getting in to?

Thanks in advance

Adam

welcome mate 🙂 

brushless is indeed very complicated. to me brushless is like advanced maths 😄  with nitro i can undertsnad them more but brushless i am still learning and so much i do not know either and i have been into brushless for about 7 years give or take.

from what i can see, you are wanting a turck, could you give us your budget and what size/scale you would prefer? the brsuhless carnage is a 1/10th scale for instance.

Thanks for the reply! I don't want anything smaller than 1/10 scale and my budget is around £250 maybe a bit more if required. I want something where spares are readily available as I will definitely be breaking stuff 😁

Iv had another good read of the guides and seem to be getting some sort of understanding but Im very much a practical minded person and learn by actually doing something rather than reading about it

When I was into RC years ago I had a fair few different models (onroad & offroad) and found I enjoyed electric more than nitro, nitro took more preparation and electric was very much grab a battery and go. Not sure if I will feel the same as an adult but definately open to all options.

I also don't have any objection to second hand rather than new, I've always struggled with making a decision especially when there is so many options haha

Edited by adamfshaw

5 hours ago, adamfshaw said:

Thanks for the reply! I don't want anything smaller than 1/10 scale and my budget is around £250 maybe a bit more if required. I want something where spares are readily available as I will definitely be breaking stuff 😁

Iv had another good read of the guides and seem to be getting some sort of understanding but Im very much a practical minded person and learn by actually doing something rather than reading about it

When I was into RC years ago I had a fair few different models (onroad & offroad) and found I enjoyed electric more than nitro, nitro took more preparation and electric was very much grab a battery and go. Not sure if I will feel the same as an adult but definately open to all options.

I also don't have any objection to second hand rather than new, I've always struggled with making a decision especially when there is so many options haha

You’ll definitely be breaking stuff if you go for the carnage. But spares are 2 a penny and readily available. Even the ‘hop-up’ options are reasonable.

I opted  for the carnage after being out the rc scene since my early teens. It taught me all I needed to know and didn’t break the bank (can’t say the same for the truck), so no major loss if I found the hobby wasn’t for me.

I chose to go brushed, and then opted for a brushless combo soon after. This resulted in a better version of the standard brushless (the stock etronics combo isn’t great), it also helped me get a better understanding of rc electronics in general.

Bottom line is, I would do the same again. I have a love hate relationship with FTX, but I still think it’s a great place to start. Most important thing is that you enjoy it, regardless of which route you take, and there’s plenty of support if you need help here on the forum. 👍🏻

Edited by Ant.p