• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What motors / ESC in 2021? and where from?

jariworsley

Where are the go to places and brands for new motors and ESC's in 2021? 

5 years not looked at the cars i have properly and things have changed...

it used to be something like... roughly sorted by memory from most expensive to cheap and cheerful

Lehner

Neu or Castle TP Power?

Leopard , hobbywing, tenshock

hobbyking or other random brand from ebay from china.

now... I can see that Lehner is still there and i am still not spending that much! 

Leopard seems to have virtually disappeared - used to be loads on ebay but not anymore. i remember lots of pictures of brushless conversions with that big red can in - either 4082 or the one I never bought the 4092.

new name seems to be surpass hobby? 

on ESC - iirc everyone seemed to go Castle, hobbywing or take a risk on something from hobbyking.

that still the same? 

What am I missing? 

Edited by jariworsley

• jariworsley changed the title to What motors / ESC in 2021? and where from?
13 minutes ago, Bajadre said:

whats it going in Jari?

a few different builds in mind so at this stage i am really just window shopping and making sure when I do get round to it I don't end up missing the newer options. 

not racing, bashing only.

three things in mind:

resurrecting / getting on with a truggy conversion - I have a thunder tiger st-1 plus rc-monster mount to convert it. 5 years ago I 'd have been off to that auction site looking for a 4082 leopard can, something like 1500-2000kv. and a 150a esc to match.  and the motor I never quite pulled the trigger on were the TP Power ones. the 4070. Huge things. 🙂

Tamiya - i have a mad bull and pumpkin in box to make. 

Smaller scale - here is where I have no prior experience or knowledge at all.

I have been eyeing up the LC Racing kit - the self build buggy. and/or the Losi Mini t 2.0.  

Edited by jariworsley
  • Like 1

at the moment it seems hobby wing is the go to systems good value for the price tbh matey for 1/8 scale you cant beat the max 8 combo ran one in my savage xl and now truggy 👍 there perfect for bashers i later added a CC motor but the standard can is great too

tamiya 1/10 theres a lot of choice again from cheap gool rc systems on ebay to hobby wing systems all the way up to the castle systems too ill let some others chime on as i havent ran 1/10 for a long time last one i bought was the castle creation 5700k 

As for scale not a clue am afraid brother lol

• Like 1

For the LC racing buggy you should be fine to stick with hobby wing again for the ESC. I went with the 16BL30 for my truggy build but if you are planning on racing or going for speed runs you could look at the larger (non-waterproof) 10BL60 or even 10BL120 that some people shoehorn in. 

Motor wise I went with a 2845 platinum motor from Surpass Hobby that was pretty cheap but seems to be performing as well as I would expect for a brushless motor of that size. Might need the slightly shorter version for the buggy. 

• Like 1