• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My first build - Mad Bull re re

Kol

I think it's a good choice for a 4 year old. .... and a grown up one. It's not overly fast, but it's got a hint of daft about it.

I think a Blitzer driven by a 4 year old...is probably going to spend a lot of time on it's roof... but once he gets the hang of the Madbull....well...Christmas ain't far off .....

• Like 1

Thanks guys, appreciate the input👍

I'm going to build the kit tomorrow, any advice re do's and don'ts? The chap in the shop said I need to make sure to center the steering servo before I connect the linkage.

Build day today. It went pretty smoothly, and was very enjoyable. I found the electronics at the end a bit baffling at first. With no wiring diagram as such for the ESC and Servo plug into the receiver, it took me a while to sort that out. I did however draw first blood with the scalpel... rookie mistake, cleaning the bits off the sides of the parts!🙈

Cleared off my week day 'work from home' desk (Project Manager) in the bedroom bay window and set this up...

b5CPrYT.jpg

qMePO6N.jpg

S0imeFD.jpg

KKJcP5s.jpg

wURnwPs.jpg

sdKHKFp.jpg

A mildly confusing mess, Google soon resolved all issues, as did reading some of the ESC and Radio kit instructions!...

1d0lnZJ.jpg

Cut some of the posts off the mechanism deck and fitted the ESC and receiver on top. Are they better placed lower into the shell?....

YNfO1uK.jpg

zsfeVn0.jpg

Took it for a run at the rec over the road and it was f**king great fun! Attempted to tweak the trim, if that's the correct word? and that seemed to go ok. Surprisingly I got on really well with the pistol grip. I was hesitant due to having only used sticks back in the 90's, but it was really intuitive. I found it harder trying to judge the speed and turn in points on some of the tighter corners on the paths in the park, but I'm sure that will come with experience.

One thing I found really odd is the fact you can't just whack it into reverse, it seems you have to touch the reverse on the trigger and hit it again once it slowed to the engage reverse, otherwise it just doesn't move. I guess that's just the nature of the gear box and ensures it doesn't get mashed. Even with the big tyres, the car got stuck in long grass once, but it managed some jumps down grassy banks with style and it was great fun drifting round the corners on the tarmac paths (the few times I got it right and didn't crash into a bush!😆). The car is definitely not quick, but that's fine, it'll allow me to get used to driving it and it's not exactly designed to be a speed demon. However, from this first drive I can see myself at least fitting a more powerful motor in the not too distant future.

My son loved it and was chasing it all over the place and racing it.  We shared the controller and he operated one of the controls whilst I operated the other, in a very large area of local rec's football field, was great fun!! He was very sad when the battery ran out and we had to go home for dinner!🤗

qXvEW3n.jpg

Tomorrow the battered shell should be arriving, and we'll be taking it to a local country park. I bought a 2nd NiMH battery, 4500mAh to go with the 3000mAh I got when buying the car. I think I'll get maybe 45mins or so out of the two.

Edited by Kol
additional comments and typos
  • Like 3

Got the old shell delivered, got to say I like the bashed up, used look it has...

spacer.png

I also fitted an old driver figure that I got with another 2nd hand buggy recently.

spacer.png

The battery was a bit loose in it's cage so for now I've fitted some foam number plate tape to ensure a more snug fit.

spacer.png

Out on the range...

spacer.png

Picked up some white wheels to better match the haze grey/blue/white colour scheme. Think I might put some Tamiya stickers on the inside of the wheel rims as well, there's a pretty big empty dish in there. For ref these are the wheels from the Tamiya VW T1 Bus Wheelie 1:12  model RWD Monster truck and are a direct fit for the Mad Bull, as are the Wild Willy chrome wheels.

spacer.png

Some point soon I'll get the new shell painted and stickered up and then fit the white wheels😀

• Like 2