• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1/5th Baja Ride Height

Steve-O2021

Ride height, as with most settings on a Baja is ENTIRELY down to personal preference.

There really isn't a right or wrong. just what is right for the owner. Thats why these things are adjustable.

You can ask all sorts what's right, and end up with a rubbish setup simply because you drive differently.

Personally, I run firm rear shocks with stiffer springs, 15W oil and a fairly high ride height. But I don;t ramp mine. I run it a bit lower and softer on the front. That way it's fairly level when it squats under hard acceleration. Suits my driving style. BUT the setup has also been tailored to a pipe that gives low down grunt and aggressive treaded tyres. That way I can punch it hard in a straight line, tap the brakes to load the front, then gas it to break traction and drift. Its a setup achieved after trying  a load of other things, and finding a combination of parts that was fun.

My advice to ANYONE asking for settings/oil weights etc for a Baja or any other car is STOP IT!

Go drive your car. Stop pestering the nice folks, but instead .. look closely at how your car is performing. If you keep slapping the chassis plate on the deck on the flat.,..it's too low. If you keep bottoming out hte shocks, your springs are too soft, or need more preload. If it's too bouncy...your oil is too thin. But if you fit stiffer springs...you might find you need to change the oil again as the rebound will be increased. You stick half a ton of alloy upgrades on...now you will be riding lower ..... Play with the things you can adjust and see what changes.

If you have a specific like 'I need to raise the ride height' ..... or 'my shocks are too bouncy..what do I do' .... those I can help with, because the asker has worked out what they want, but lacks the know how to achieve it. But someone wants a magic setup to make their Baja drive wonderfully?  Sorry....there is no answer to that. Baja's handle like crap, thats why they are fun

3 hours ago, Nitroholic said:

Ride height, as with most settings on a Baja is ENTIRELY down to personal preference.

There really isn't a right or wrong. just what is right for the owner. Thats why these things are adjustable.

You can ask all sorts what's right, and end up with a rubbish setup simply because you drive differently.

Personally, I run firm rear shocks with stiffer springs, 15W oil and a fairly high ride height. But I don;t ramp mine. I run it a bit lower and softer on the front. That way it's fairly level when it squats under hard acceleration. Suits my driving style. BUT the setup has also been tailored to a pipe that gives low down grunt and aggressive treaded tyres. That way I can punch it hard in a straight line, tap the brakes to load the front, then gas it to break traction and drift. Its a setup achieved after trying  a load of other things, and finding a combination of parts that was fun.

My advice to ANYONE asking for settings/oil weights etc for a Baja or any other car is STOP IT!

Go drive your car. Stop pestering the nice folks, but instead .. look closely at how your car is performing. If you keep slapping the chassis plate on the deck on the flat.,..it's too low. If you keep bottoming out hte shocks, your springs are too soft, or need more preload. If it's too bouncy...your oil is too thin. But if you fit stiffer springs...you might find you need to change the oil again as the rebound will be increased. You stick half a ton of alloy upgrades on...now you will be riding lower ..... Play with the things you can adjust and see what changes.

If you have a specific like 'I need to raise the ride height' ..... or 'my shocks are too bouncy..what do I do' .... those I can help with, because the asker has worked out what they want, but lacks the know how to achieve it. But someone wants a magic setup to make their Baja drive wonderfully?  Sorry....there is no answer to that. Baja's handle like crap, thats why they are fun

The main reason for asking is I read that if it's set too high you risk driveshafts popping out and ripping the shaft boot but they didn't say how high to high was. 

Another also mentioned fitting limiting straps, are these worth fitting? (They just look like some wire crimped and soldered to a terminal)