• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Kraton exb, TP motor and max6 question

Bagsy

I’m new to the world of esc/motor/gearing as I’ve always just used stock gear before so please be gentle! 😂

I’ve just bought a used Kraton EXB rtr which was reasonably priced; it has a max6 esc and TP 2300kv motor fitted (picture attached).

Didn’t know much about the max6 but thought that sounded like a sensible combo. However, just looking at the max6 specs and looks like the biggest KV motor you can use on 6s is 1500kv. I know that limit is based on a specific motor can size though so may not be applicable. Am I going to have issues with that combo?  

it currently has a 22t pinion fitted and I plan to run it on 4s initially if that helps answer the question!

TIA!

9A58388C-B5B8-4912-9F8E-7838320850BC.png

Edited by Bagsy
Spelling mistake

I haven’t actually run it yet as I’ve been away unfortunately. Hopefully going to get out Tuesday for a bash. 

I’ve decided to put the 12t pinion in to start with though and will look at the temps across the lipo, esc and motor to see how it goes. I would think that would be slightly undergeared but only time (and the temp gun!) will tell…

12 hours ago, Logie said:

Yea i would of thought you want to stay in the 12-15t range with that setup, 18-22 is more for the 1650kv motors

Thanks Logie. 

I've been running it on 12t and 4s - still savagely fast IMO! 

ive actually decided to swap it out for a TP4070 2080kv  which I’m going to try with the 22t pinion - might still be a tall but it’s such a big motor I’m hoping it can handle it! 

25 minutes ago, Logie said:

i bought the Yeah Racing dual fans from Aminhobbies its a nice simple fan setup which takes edge of temps

Great, thanks. I’ll look them up 👍🏽

14 hours ago, Bagsy said:

Thanks Logie. 

I've been running it on 12t and 4s - still savagely fast IMO! 

ive actually decided to swap it out for a TP4070 2080kv  which I’m going to try with the 22t pinion - might still be a tall but it’s such a big motor I’m hoping it can handle it! 

Its still a high kv motor in the grand scheme of things, Id suggest starting much lower than a 22t however. Id start around 15 personally. Youre asking a lot of your Max 6 with that gearing

Edited by Kpowell911

40 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Its still a high kv motor in the grand scheme of things, Id suggest starting much lower than a 22t however. Id start around 15 personally. Youre asking a lot of your Max 6 with that gearing

Cheers bud, thanks for the advice. I think you’re definitely right, plus with the 22t pinion it will be pretty uncontrollable…..well for me anyway! It’s just I have a 22t going spare so thought I’d chuck it in. 

Am going to order a few different pinion sizes, might get 15,17 and 19t to start with and see how the temps go.