• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Mad Bull

Lesley

My son has just bought this mad bull car its all been set up correctly as far as I'm aware, but the car goes off on its own when the controller is on or off but not being used.

My son has Autism so he is really upset if anyone can help me on how to fix this I would be so grateful.

19 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

Always switch the controller on first, then the car - then turn the car off first, then the controller.   It’s a good habit to have. 

Also always disconnect the car battery when it’s not in use. 

have you any idea what speed controller is in the car ?

have you tried rebinding the transmitter to the receiver you may need check manual how to do that 

3 minutes ago, Lesley said:

Yes that's the exact controller we have yes it is reverse.

But no one is touching this when the car zooms off into reverse 

This lever “trims” the throttle and if you push it forwards it may stop the car going backwards at random. 

D8180830-B7EB-432E-96E3-2ED412249D2A.jpeg

Edited by walkbythesea

Have you been able to control the car normally at all?  Steering and driving forward and reverse? 

As Jack and Stormbringer have said, it may need rebinding the radio and/or recalibration of the speed controller - do you have the manuals?

Edited by walkbythesea

ok try rebinding the transmitter to the receiver see if that sorts it , dont move any sticks whilst rebinding  tho 

if that doesnt work try recalibrating the speed controller 

• Like 1

Sounds to me like the receiver could be set up with a 'failsafe' brake setup, as you would for nitro cars. On an electric....this will slap it into reverse. The battery may have run down to the point where the receiver isn;t picking up a good signal, and sticking it into reverse...as a 'brakes on' reaction.

4 minutes ago, Nitroholic said:

Sounds to me like the receiver could be set up with a 'failsafe' brake setup, as you would for nitro cars. On an electric....this will slap it into reverse. The battery may have run down to the point where the receiver isn;t picking up a good signal, and sticking it into reverse...as a 'brakes on' reaction.

I’ve not experienced that - all my electric failsafes just go to neutral. 

Not to say it doesn’t happen, I’ve just not heard of it. 

Edited by walkbythesea

Welcome to the forum 🙂 

How old is the Madbull? 

Sounds like it might be an MSC (manual speed controller) which came with the old Tamiyas - These were known to do this 

Any chance of a chassis picture

• Like 1

hope you get it sorted for the lad, im autistic as well and would be very upset as a kid if a big toy like that wouldnt work so i know how he feels 😞

sounds like it will just be teething issues with the settings on the radio gear and esc or mechanical speed controller and i can't add anything that hasnt been mentioned above, a picture of under the body shell showing the innards would be helpful though 🙂

Edited by Yrkoon

Hi everyone and i wanted to thank you all for trying to help me.

My sons Mad Bulls controller was faulty this is why it was going off on its own.

I had tried everything that you all told me but nothing worked so i guessed then there must be a bigger problem,

so took it to a model store they gave me a contoller there and its perfectly fine now.

Son will be happy when he gets home another £45.00 down hey but happiness is all that matters 🙂

Again thank you all so much truly grateful to you all.

• Like 2