• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Your thoughts on my 1987 Tyco/Taiyo 9.6v Twin Turbo Lamborghini Countach please?

Ukcanuck

Hi folks,

I have a late 1980’s Lamborghini Countach 1/12 R/C car that I’d like attempt breathing a little life into...if possible.  I’ve had it from new (bought as a teenager in Canada) but it hasn’t run since the early ‘90’s.  It’s a two motor car, with the second activated by a deeper pull on the trigger (referred to as a ‘twin turbo’ in North America.)  A web search suggests this was made by Taiyo and branded Tyco for the USA/Canada market and was a pretty good car for its’ time and my interests in restoring it are purely sentimental.  I would think it’s a pretty simple setup by modern standards, so hopefully I can bring her back to life.

First of all is a battery pack.  It has what appears to be a Tamiya style plug, with a square plug and a rounded square.  So the first of what will no doubt not be the only dumb question is whether I’m on the right track thinking that the pack in this link will be ok?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384107798899

I am not an expert in this area, so am feeling my way forward on this one...and don’t want to do something dopey and make anything worse. 🙄

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or assistance.

Richard

24447E82-C48F-499D-B443-8B495E4CB9CE.jpeg

FA7A7ADD-2431-4D8F-8D12-559DF833379A.jpeg

C17A8AA1-5BEC-4789-A8AE-120CE904D956.jpeg

Edited by Ukcanuck
  • Like 1

• Ukcanuck changed the title to Your thoughts on my 1987 Tyco/Taiyo 9.6v Twin Turbo Lamborghini Countach please?

Definitely worth rescuing, for nostalgia's sake! I recently bought an extremely rare, pretty pricey toy-grade RC, purely because it was the same as my first ever RC. Nostalgia is powerful!

If the circuit board and all the components all still working, then you'll be sorted. If not, you may need to look into replacing with a modern ESC (which can still drive the older motors), as well as (potentially) a proper servo, but all that'll start being a lot more involved. Good luck!

Edited by PraetoR
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, PraetoR said:

Definitely worth rescuing, for nostalgia's sake! I recently bought an extremely rare, pretty pricey toy-grade RC, purely because it was the same as my first ever RC. Nostalgia is powerful!

If the circuit board and all the components all still working, then you'll be sorted. If not, you may need to look into replacing with a modern ESC (which can still drive the older motors), as well as (potentially) a proper servo, but all that'll start being a lot more involved. Good luck!

Thanks!

I’ve ordered the battery pack, so I’m hoping to try powering up this week. 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

does the transmitter power up

That’s a good question...

I just put a battery in and the light came on?  Can I interpret that as yes or is there a way to test signal strength or something?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ukcanuck said:

That’s a good question...

I just put a battery in and the light came on?  Can I interpret that as yes or is there a way to test signal strength or something?

for now take that as a good sign, now to wait for a battery to arrive and also consider how you will charge the battery

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

for now take that as a good sign, now to wait for a battery to arrive and also consider how you will charge the battery

It comes with a USB charger that will no doubt take days to fully charge...but it’s something. 🙂

• Like 2

This "Chinese" battery does not fulfill what it advertises: it does not have 2400mAh and the discharge current may be small (you will notice if the car is slow).

Better batteries are those of brands such as Tyco, Nikko or New Bright although the capacity is lower but the discharge current is higher.

Edited by Raul
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Raul said:

This "Chinese" battery does not fulfill what it advertises: it does not have 2400mAh and the discharge current may be small (you will notice if the car is slow).

Better batteries are those of brands such as Tyco, Nikko or New Bright although the capacity is lower but the discharge current is higher.

Thanks.  It still hasn’t arrived yet, but I’ll keep that in mind.

Hopefully it will be enough for me to simply test and see whether the car still has any functioning parts...and if so, which ones.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/05/2021 at 16:25, Raul said:

Agree with this, in the past I have Nikko NIMH batteries like the OP found and are better than chinese no btand.

On 08/05/2021 at 20:28, Ukcanuck said:

Hi folks,

I have a late 1980’s Lamborghini Countach 1/12 R/C car that I’d like attempt breathing a little life into...if possible.  I’ve had it from new (bought as a teenager in Canada) but it hasn’t run since the early ‘90’s.  It’s a two motor car, with the second activated by a deeper pull on the trigger (referred to as a ‘twin turbo’ in North America.)  A web search suggests this was made by Taiyo and branded Tyco for the USA/Canada market and was a pretty good car for its’ time and my interests in restoring it are purely sentimental.  I would think it’s a pretty simple setup by modern standards, so hopefully I can bring her back to life.

First of all is a battery pack.  It has what appears to be a Tamiya style plug, with a square plug and a rounded square.  So the first of what will no doubt not be the only dumb question is whether I’m on the right track thinking that the pack in this link will be ok?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384107798899

I am not an expert in this area, so am feeling my way forward on this one...and don’t want to do something dopey and make anything worse. 🙄

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or assistance.

Richard

24447E82-C48F-499D-B443-8B495E4CB9CE.jpeg

FA7A7ADD-2431-4D8F-8D12-559DF833379A.jpeg

C17A8AA1-5BEC-4789-A8AE-120CE904D956.jpeg

Very nice unit mate, ¿do you finally can run it?